Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Model plane impact survival

1. Oct 14, 2007 #1
    Hi all I fly model planes in combat and need to build a wing that will withstand a head on impact!! Im going to use epp foam to form the wing and a carbon spar
    the foam will be cut at the spar line and the spar will be a H rotated 90deg so that the foam slots in either side
    what I need to know is how strong do I need to make the spar

so its 2 objects both traveling at 50 mph impacting on a surface area of 1 inch
    I assume thats the same as 1 object impacting an imovable object of 1 inch at 100 mph
    but thats all I know as Im a rather thick so if you could tell me the answer and also explain the calculation Id really appreciate it

kind regards goony
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2007 #2
    please ignore the absortion of the epp foam i just need to know what the impact force would be

regards goony
  4. Oct 14, 2007 #3

Homework Helper

The closer the model is to a "combat" wing, the better the chance of survival. The "classics" are getting harder to find:

The newer ones are still around:

XL Slope Glider

Link to videos (plenty of these at other web sites as well):

Also note that if the two models are virtually identical then a 50mph head on isn't much different than a 50mph crash into a solid wall. If one of the models is much larger, then the smaller model starts experiencing the effects approaching a 100mph crash into a solid wall.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  5. Oct 15, 2007 #4
    Hi these arnt gliders they are powerd by 30cubic inch methanol engines and we attatch a 30ft streamer to them the idea is to cut the other streamers but midair impacts are quite common and we use a straight leading edge to snag streamers if they were swept back the streamer would slide off
    the wing will be 6ft span and made from EPP foam the opposition are 4ft and made from correx

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?