Model plane impact survival

In summary: Please give a summary of the article.In summary, model plane enthusiasts need to be aware of the potential for head-on impacts with other aircraft. The newer models are harder to find, but there are still a few around. Some model plane enthusiasts use epp foam for wings, but it is not known how strong the foam needs to be. Head-on impacts with other aircraft can be dangerous, and model plane enthusiasts need to be aware of this if they want to fly safely.
goony
Hi all I fly model planes in combat and need to build a wing that will withstand a head on impact! I am going to use epp foam to form the wing and a carbon spar
the foam will be cut at the spar line and the spar will be a H rotated 90deg so that the foam slots in either side
what I need to know is how strong do I need to make the spar

so its 2 objects both traveling at 50 mph impacting on a surface area of 1 inch
I assume that's the same as 1 object impacting an imovable object of 1 inch at 100 mph
but that's all I know as I am a rather thick so if you could tell me the answer and also explain the calculation Id really appreciate it

kind regards goony

Engineering news on Phys.org
please ignore the absortion of the epp foam i just need to know what the impact force would be

regards goony

The closer the model is to a "combat" wing, the better the chance of survival. The "classics" are getting harder to find:

http://www.zagi.com
http://www.fatlion.com/sailplanes/boomerang.html

The newer ones are still around:

http://www.combatwings.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=32&product_name=Ready%20to%20Fly%20XL%20Slope%20Glider

Link to videos (plenty of these at other web sites as well):

http://www.combatwings.com/catalog/video_electric.php

Also note that if the two models are virtually identical then a 50mph head on isn't much different than a 50mph crash into a solid wall. If one of the models is much larger, then the smaller model starts experiencing the effects approaching a 100mph crash into a solid wall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi these arnt gliders they are powerd by 30cubic inch methanol engines and we attatch a 30ft streamer to them the idea is to cut the other streamers but midair impacts are quite common and we use a straight leading edge to snag streamers if they were swept back the streamer would slide off
the wing will be 6ft span and made from EPP foam the opposition are 4ft and made from correx

goony

What is "Model Plane Impact Survival"?

"Model Plane Impact Survival" refers to the study of the ability of model planes to withstand impact and survive, typically in the context of crash tests or simulations.

Why is it important to study "Model Plane Impact Survival"?

Understanding how model planes react to impacts can provide valuable information for improving their design and safety, as well as informing regulations and guidelines for model aircraft operation.

What factors affect the survival of model planes in impacts?

The design and construction of the model plane, as well as the speed and angle of impact, are key factors that can impact the survivability of model planes. Other factors may include weather conditions, terrain, and the presence of obstacles.

How is "Model Plane Impact Survival" studied?

There are various methods for studying model plane impact survival, including physical crash tests, computer simulations, and mathematical models. These methods can provide valuable data and insights into the behavior of model planes during impacts.

What are some potential applications of "Model Plane Impact Survival" research?

The findings from "Model Plane Impact Survival" research can be applied in the development of safer and more durable model aircraft, as well as in improving safety regulations for model aircraft operation. This research may also have broader applications in the fields of aviation and engineering.