Model Rocket design:FYP: help?

In summary: My recommendation, though, is that you decide upon one single objective that you want to attain and focus upon that.
crazyaafi
I would like to seek your assistance and help regarding my project, and I would like to know if you have an ideas for projects on an appropriate level of required skill related to rocketry.

Presently i have two field options in mind ..
.structures and CFD
and i have a thinking about designing a rocket system. that means its structure,fuel, etc ,its flight path and specifications and its CFD and structural analysis.
and also build a prototype of it.

i would love to hear frm fellows who can help me in this regard.

your emails are also welcomes for such regard

iymalik@gmail.com

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Crazyaafi.
Please restrict your posts to default text; strange fonts and colours and sizes are kind of irritating. They can be used sparingly for emphasis, but are not generally appreciated.
I'm not sure about others here, but I would need more information regarding your 'level' and the requirements of your project.

Danger said:
Welcome to PF, Crazyaafi.
Please restrict your posts to default text; strange fonts and colours and sizes are kind of irritating. They can be used sparingly for emphasis, but are not generally appreciated.
I'm not sure about others here, but I would need more information regarding your 'level' and the requirements of your project.

Thanks "Danger"

for da responce...
actually i tried to bold out da words of importance..any hows..

about the project..

Well i am presentlyy starting my 4TH<final year >>for my ungrad.studies.

Actualyy this project is the FINAL YEAR PROJECT for my BE Degree..
I hope dis thing helps you understand my level.
requirements dpend on the limits one decides for himself..
i have a thinking to do it practically alsoo along with theoritical work on designing and anlysis of a model rocket..means i also would like to get it manufactured and them test fire it as a demo.

..hoping your responce..

I'm a total amateur at just about everything, so I don't know that I can be of much help. About my only advantage is that I pretty much always think 'outside of the box'.
Given your advanced level, I assume that your project would be quite a sophisticated rocket: liquid fuel, high-altitude, possibly multi-stage, highly instrumented, etc..
Acronyms drive me nuts, because the same ones are used for a lot of different things. I must assume (again) that by CFD you mean Computational Fluid Dynamics. I know nothing about that, but it would suggest to me that your primary interests would be fuel delivery and nozzle design, as well as possibly the aerodynamics of the whole machine.
Depending upon the scale that you choose, you might have some legal issues regarding the launching of it. Might be best to check out the regulations before getting too far into the project.

Danger said:
I'm a total amateur at just about everything, so I don't know that I can be of much help. About my only advantage is that I pretty much always think 'outside of the box'.
Given your advanced level, I assume that your project would be quite a sophisticated rocket: liquid fuel, high-altitude, possibly multi-stage, highly instrumented, etc..
Acronyms drive me nuts, because the same ones are used for a lot of different things. I must assume (again) that by CFD you mean Computational Fluid Dynamics. I know nothing about that, but it would suggest to me that your primary interests would be fuel delivery and nozzle design, as well as possibly the aerodynamics of the whole machine.
Depending upon the scale that you choose, you might have some legal issues regarding the launching of it. Might be best to check out the regulations before getting too far into the project.

welll bro...

the thing is dat i haven't yet started off any thing..at moment this is just my begining..
i am yet to decide with any thing as fuel and altitude..

wethr it should b liquid or solid etc

i em just asking you ppl to help me go thru dis process iwth ease

..and advices to make up a guideline for me...
:)
thnks

You probably will have to wait for others with far more knowledge in that area than I have. My recommendation, though, is that you decide upon one single objective that you want to attain and focus upon that. As a for instance, you might want to mount tranducers in the skin to record pressure gradients along the body of the rocket during flight. If so, the design of the rocket itself would be subordinate to your instrumentation/telemetry package.
If you wanted instead to investigate nozzle efficiency, the shape of the rocket and the type of fuel would be irrelevant.
What interests you most about the project?

Danger said:
You probably will have to wait for others with far more knowledge in that area than I have. My recommendation, though, is that you decide upon one single objective that you want to attain and focus upon that. As a for instance, you might want to mount tranducers in the skin to record pressure gradients along the body of the rocket during flight. If so, the design of the rocket itself would be subordinate to your instrumentation/telemetry package.
If you wanted instead to investigate nozzle efficiency, the shape of the rocket and the type of fuel would be irrelevant.
What interests you most about the project?

welll dude..
actualyyy datx a big problem at while
..i em much confused about which way to chose and wat to go for...
:S

if i have soem suggestion about what's more easier adn more betr to go ...dat wud help me:S

as far i feel ..
i wan to design a rocket structure dat has a performce say a 10 kilometer ov altitude etc.
and work about its chracteristics.

and once done with this i would also lyk to prototype manufacture it wth altitude ov 1 km.

...yeaaa i hope soo dere wd b many fellows coming in soon to help out..

any hows

wat u say?
shud i go with evry thing about a rocket

or is it betrr to work with a Missile?

Anything that flies is technically a missile, whether it's the Space Shuttle or a rock coming out of a slingshot. I think that in popular useage, a rocket is considered a 'missile' if it has a guidance system. In that case, an unguided rocket would be the easiest to design and build.

try n get some videos first. they help a lot. confederate rocket, solami rocket in mythbusters should do a good start

1. What materials are typically used in model rocket design?

Model rockets are typically made from lightweight and durable materials such as balsa wood, cardboard, plastic, and lightweight metals like aluminum. The rocket body is usually made from cardboard or plastic tubing, while the fins are made from balsa wood or plastic sheets.

2. How do I determine the best size and shape for my model rocket?

The size and shape of a model rocket is determined by its purpose and the desired flight characteristics. Factors such as weight, center of gravity, and center of pressure must be considered in order to achieve stable flight. It is important to research and use rocket design software or consult with experienced rocketeers to determine the best size and shape for your specific needs.

3. What are the key components of a model rocket?

The key components of a model rocket include the body, fins, nose cone, engine mount, launch lug, and recovery system. The body serves as the main structure of the rocket, while the fins provide stability during flight. The nose cone helps reduce drag and houses the recovery system, which typically consists of a parachute or streamer. The engine mount holds the rocket engine in place, and the launch lug provides a guide for the rocket during launch.

4. How do I ensure the safety of my model rocket design?

Safety is a crucial aspect of model rocket design. It is important to follow all safety guidelines and regulations set by organizations such as the National Association of Rocketry (NAR) and the Tripoli Rocketry Association (TRA). This includes using proper materials, following weight and size limitations, and conducting test flights in a safe and open area. It is also important to have a recovery system in place to prevent the rocket from causing harm or damage upon landing.

5. Are there any tips for improving the performance of my model rocket?

There are several ways to improve the performance of a model rocket. These include reducing weight, increasing the size of the fins, adjusting the center of gravity, and using a more powerful rocket engine. It is also important to properly prepare the rocket before launch by ensuring all components are securely attached and the rocket is balanced. Additionally, experimenting with different designs and using rocket design software can help optimize the performance of your model rocket.