Model rocket - free fall acceleration again

In summary, the problem involves a model rocket ascending with a constant acceleration of 4.0 m/s^2 for 6.00 seconds before its fuel runs out and it free falls back to the ground. The question is to find the maximum altitude reached and the total time elapsed. The key formula to use is X-Xo = Vot + 0.5at^2, and it is assumed that the rocket starts from rest. The rocket's velocity is not necessary to solve the problem, as acceleration is the change in velocity over time.
missrikku
model rocket - free fall acceleration again :(

The problem states:

A model rocket fired vertically from the ground ascends with a constant vertical acceleration of 4.0 m/s^2 for 6.00 seconds. Its fuel is then exhausted, so it continues upward as a free-fall particle and then falls back down. a) what is the max altitude reached? b) what is the total time elapsed from takeoff until the rocket strikes the ground?

While drawing the sketch of this problem and attempting to solve part a, I got stuck when I was choosing the correct formulas to use.

To solve a, I tried to find the height of the rocket at t=6.0s

X-Xo = Vot + 0.5at^2

With R = height of the rocket at t = 6.0s,
R = Vot + 0.5(4.0)(6.0)^2 = (6.0)Vo + 72

My question is: would Vo = 0? I think I could solve this problem faster if that was the case. I was wondering about this because this rocket already had an acceleration of 4.0m/s^2 ti start and since acceleration is the change in velocity over time (right?) that must mean that there was some initial velocity so Vo doesn't equal 0. But if that's true, how would I go about finding that Vo? Do I even need that to solve this problem?

I was going to find the height of the rocket at t = 6.0s and then find the height from there up to the max using a = -g and Vmax = 0. Then the max height reached would be those values (height at 6.0s and height from there to the max height where Vmax = 0) added together.

Physics news on Phys.org

Originally posted by missrikku
To solve a, I tried to find the height of the rocket at t=6.0s

X-Xo = Vot + 0.5at^2

With R = height of the rocket at t = 6.0s,
R = Vot + 0.5(4.0)(6.0)^2 = (6.0)Vo + 72

OK

My question is: would Vo = 0?

Yes, you can assume that the rocket starts from rest.

Once you get the height at which the engine cuts out, remember that the only acceleration from that height onwards is the acceleration due to gravity.

Originally posted by missrikku
and since acceleration is the change in velocity over time (right?) that must mean that there was some initial velocity so Vo doesn't equal 0.

Acceleration is change in velocity over time. That doesn't mean that you need a velocity to have an acceleration.

When the rocket is sitting on the pad, it has zero velocity. You then turn on the engine, and the engine provides the acceleration. The rocket still doesn't start moving until a split-second later (t just over 0).

Originally posted by Missrikku
that must mean that there was some initial velocity so Vo doesn't equal 0.

0 IS a velocity! You can even have negative velocities!

1. What is a model rocket?

A model rocket is a small, non-commercial rocket designed for recreational use and typically constructed from lightweight materials such as paper, plastic, and balsa wood. It is powered by solid fuel engines and can reach altitudes of several hundred feet.

2. How does a model rocket achieve free fall acceleration?

When a model rocket is launched, it accelerates due to the force of the rocket engine pushing it upwards. Once the rocket reaches its maximum height and the engine burns out, it begins to fall back to the ground. At this point, the only force acting on the rocket is gravity, causing it to accelerate towards the ground at a rate of 9.8 meters per second squared, which is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. Can you calculate the free fall acceleration of a model rocket?

Yes, the free fall acceleration of a model rocket can be calculated using the formula a = g, where a is the acceleration in meters per second squared and g is the acceleration due to gravity, which is 9.8 meters per second squared on Earth.

4. How can free fall acceleration be measured during a model rocket launch?

One way to measure free fall acceleration during a model rocket launch is by using a special accelerometer sensor attached to the rocket. This sensor can measure the acceleration of the rocket and provide data on the rate of acceleration during free fall.

5. Why is understanding free fall acceleration important for model rocketry?

Understanding free fall acceleration is important for model rocketry because it helps predict the flight path and landing location of the rocket. It also allows for more accurate and precise launches, as well as the ability to calculate the maximum height and speed of the rocket. Additionally, understanding free fall acceleration can help with safety measures and proper handling of the rocket during launch and recovery.