1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Model rocket (velocity and time equation help please)

1. Apr 28, 2004 #1
    A model rocket is fired vertically upward from rest. Its acceleration for the first three seconds is a(t)=60t, at which time the fuel is exhausted and it becomes a freely “falling” body. Fourteen seconds after the fuel is exhausted, the rocket’s parachute opens, and the (downward) velocity slows linearly to -18 ft/sec in 5 seconds. The rocket then “floats” to the ground at that rate. Find the position function s and the velocity function v for any time t, then sketch the graphs of s and v.

This is the whole question and I don't expect help with the graphs but if I could get some help on the problem I would appreciate it greatly.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

one step at a time

Attack it step by step.

For T = 0, 3 secs: Integrate the acceleration function (twice) to find expressions for v and s.
    For T = 3, 14 secs: It's a projectile. Uniform acceleration due to gravity.
    For T = 14, 19 secs: the acceleration is given
    For T > 19 secs: uniform speed

It's a pain in the butt, but you can do it!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?