Beginner Model Rockets: Ideas and Suggestions

In summary: I abandoned the hobby after being stung in the forehead by a horsefly while retrieving the rocket in the woods.Ouch! For the sake of not misleading the youngsters, though, I must point out that horseflies don't sting. They bite, and usually take a noticeable chunk of flesh with them when they leave. I point this out only because someone who is allergic to insect venom has nothing to fear (other than pain) from these particular pests. By the bye... I designed a really nice rocket system, but I don't think that it is appropriate to discuss it here since it involves an anti-tank warhead...
justPAB
Any one have any ideas or suggestions for beginner model rockets? I eventually want to make my own.

Physics news on Phys.org
The question seems a bit vague - you can just go buy the kits and build them or buy the parts and design/buld your own. Could you be more specific about what you are asking?

Great hobby, though.

I had a couple of these as a kid : http://www.estesrockets.com/ My dad had made a launcher by sticking a some metal rod in a two-by-four.

I abandoned the hobby after being stung in the forehead by a horsefly while retrieving the rocket in the woods. Great hobby sure, but you got to watch out for the horseflies.

Dr Lots-o'watts said:
I abandoned the hobby after being stung in the forehead by a horsefly.
Ouch! For the sake of not misleading the youngsters, though, I must point out that horseflies don't sting. They bite, and usually take a noticeable chunk of flesh with them when they leave. I point this out only because someone who is allergic to insect venom has nothing to fear (other than pain) from these particular pests.
By the bye... I designed a really nice rocket system, but I don't think that it is appropriate to discuss it here since it involves an anti-tank warhead...

(It was originally an anti-gopher warhead, but one thing led to another... you know how that goes...)

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
The question seems a bit vague - you can just go buy the kits and build them or buy the parts and design/buld your own. Could you be more specific about what you are asking?

Great hobby, though.

Well I'm majoring in Aerospace Engineering and I remember back in high school I did a project with my engineering class and put together some rocket kits and launched them. It was fun, but I kind of want to design my own. My confusion is that back then, I had a professor that told me what to do, (not to mention, putting together a kit is not that difficult) but now, I'm working on my own and have not yet started my "core" classes for AE, so I don't know where to start. The thing is, it takes a lot of work to build a nozzle from scratch; I don't know what fuel goes into making a rocket motor for the model. I can research all these through google, however, I would like your input. I see this board has a lot of experienced people; who better to ask? :)

Danger said:
(It was originally an anti-gopher warhead, but one thing led to another... you know how that goes...)

:rofl:

1. What materials do I need to build a beginner model rocket?

To build a beginner model rocket, you will need a rocket body, fins, a nose cone, a recovery system (such as a parachute), rocket motor, launch pad, and launch controller. You may also need glue, scissors, and paint for decorating your rocket.

2. How do I choose the right rocket motor for my model rocket?

The size and weight of your model rocket will determine the size and type of rocket motor you need. It is important to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the rocket motor and to choose one that is compatible with your model rocket and its intended flight path.

3. What safety precautions should I take when launching a model rocket?

Always follow the safety guidelines provided by the National Association of Rocketry (NAR) or the Tripoli Rocketry Association (TRA). This includes launching your rocket in an open, outdoor area, away from people and buildings. Always have a fire extinguisher on hand and never launch your rocket in windy or stormy conditions.

4. How high can a beginner model rocket fly?

The maximum altitude a model rocket can reach depends on the size and type of rocket motor used, as well as the weight and aerodynamics of the rocket. Beginner model rockets typically reach heights of 500-1000 feet.

5. Can I reuse my model rocket after it has been launched?

Yes, most model rockets are designed to be reused multiple times. However, it is important to inspect your rocket after each launch and make any necessary repairs. Also, be sure to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the maximum number of launches for your specific model rocket.