Modeling a power as sum of combination

In summary, the equation 3^n = summation (from i=0 to n) of (n choose i)*(2^i) shows that the number of ways we can arrange n items in 3 boxes is equal to the sum of the number of ways we can choose a certain number of items and arrange them in 2 boxes. This can be seen through the example of placing balls in boxes, where the left side represents the number of ways we can arrange the balls in 3 boxes, and the right side represents the sum of all the possible combinations of choosing and arranging the balls in 2 boxes. I hope this helps to clarify the concept.
johnhaddad
Hello all,

I am trying to come up with a logical explanation (using an example from real life modeled in Combination and/or Permutation) to show that 3^n = summation (from i=0 to n) of (n choose i)*(2^i).

My trial is that 3^n could be modeled as having 3 boxes and we are placing n items in it (eg. balls). So, if we pick n=5, it is as selecting 3 balls to put in box one, then returning them, then selecting 3 balls to put in box 2, then returning..etc while the order of selection is "don't care". However, I still can't show how that translates into the right side of the equation. Any help or pointers?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

First, let's define what combination and permutation mean in this context. Combination refers to the number of ways we can choose a group of r objects from a larger set of n objects, where the order does not matter. Permutation, on the other hand, refers to the number of ways we can arrange a group of r objects from a larger set of n objects, where the order does matter.

To understand the equation 3^n = summation (from i=0 to n) of (n choose i)*(2^i), let's break it down step by step. The left side of the equation, 3^n, represents the number of ways we can arrange n items in 3 boxes, where the order does matter. This is similar to the concept of permutation, where we are arranging objects in a specific order.

Now, let's look at the right side of the equation. The summation symbol (∑) means we are adding up all the terms from i=0 to n. The term (n choose i) represents the number of ways we can choose i items from a set of n items, where the order does not matter. This is similar to the concept of combination. The term (2^i) represents the number of ways we can arrange i items in 2 boxes, where the order does matter.

So, in simpler terms, the right side of the equation is saying that we are adding up the number of ways we can choose a certain number of items (n choose i) and then arranging them in 2 boxes (2^i). This is equivalent to the left side of the equation, where we are arranging n items in 3 boxes.

To use your example of placing balls in boxes, if we have 5 balls and 3 boxes, we can choose 0 balls to put in box 1, and then arrange the remaining 5 balls in 2 boxes. This would be represented as (5 choose 0)*(2^0) = 1*1 = 1. Similarly, we can choose 1 ball to put in box 1, and then arrange the remaining 4 balls in 2 boxes. This would be represented as (5 choose 1)*(2^1) = 5*2 = 10. If we continue this process for all possible combinations, and add them up, we will get 3^5, which is the left side of

1. What is the purpose of modeling a power as a sum of combinations?

The purpose of this modeling technique is to mathematically represent a power function using a combination of simpler functions. This can help to simplify complex equations and make them easier to analyze and manipulate.

2. How does one go about modeling a power as a sum of combinations?

There are various methods for modeling a power as a sum of combinations, but one common approach is to use the binomial theorem. This involves expanding the power function using binomial coefficients and then simplifying the resulting terms.

3. What are the benefits of using this modeling technique?

Modeling a power as a sum of combinations can provide numerous benefits, such as making complex equations easier to solve, allowing for more efficient computation, and providing insights into the behavior of the function. It can also help with generalization and finding patterns in data.

4. Are there any limitations to using this modeling method?

While modeling a power as a sum of combinations can be useful, it may not always be the most accurate representation of the function. This approach may also not be suitable for all types of functions, and it may require a considerable amount of time and effort to find the appropriate combination of simpler functions.

5. Can this modeling technique be applied to other types of functions besides powers?

Yes, this technique can be applied to other types of functions, such as logarithmic or exponential functions. The key is to identify the appropriate simpler functions to use in the combination, which may require some trial and error or knowledge of the properties of the function.