Model Treybuchet Arm: Moment of Inertia & DEs

• Thread starter bassplayer142
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modeling
In summary, The conversation discusses the use of moments of inertia in modeling a trebuchet arm, and the potential need for differential equations in the mathematical setup. The parallel axis theorem is mentioned as a way to break up the moment of inertia into multiple parts for easier calculation. The speaker also suggests seeking advice from someone more knowledgeable in the subject.
bassplayer142
I am trying to model a treybuchet arm. What I'm looking to achieve is an equation that shows the acceleration of the arm where the object is released. I have been looking into moments of inertia for the arm itself but I get stuck considering that there is a heavy weight used as Pot energy to get the arm to swing. Deriving a moment of inertia equation for a pole is easier with equally distributed math. For that do I need differential Equations? Any help with the mathematical setup is appreciated.

If it is indeed differential equations does anyone know a good book or link that goes over using DEs in models. I have taken a class but you mostly just learn how to solve them, not how to set them up.

thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
As far as the moment of inertia goes, you should be able to break it up into multiple parts by using the parallel axis theorem (assuming that you can break it up into relatively simple shapes).

I can't really help you much with the dynamics portion, considering I barely passed that class last semester. >_<

I never heard of the parallel axis theorem. Thanks for the help.

No problem. The parallel axis theorem allows you to calculate the moment of inertia about any axis. If you take the moment of inertia of each component (in this case it would most likely be the arm and the weight) about the object's centroid you can then calculate the object's moment of inertia about the centroid. From there, I believe you can use the same calculations to find the moment about another axis.

You may want advice from someone a little more studied in the subject, because it's still kind of blurry to me. We only went over 2-3 problems involving the parallel axis theorem this semester and I didn't exactly pass that class with flying colors.

1. What is a trebuchet arm?

A trebuchet arm is the long, swinging arm of a medieval siege weapon used to launch heavy projectiles such as rocks or balls of fire.

2. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of mass in an object.

3. How is moment of inertia calculated for a trebuchet arm?

The moment of inertia for a trebuchet arm can be calculated using the formula I = mr^2, where m is the mass of the arm and r is the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass of the arm.

4. What are DEs in the context of a trebuchet arm?

DEs, or differential equations, are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. In the context of a trebuchet arm, DEs can be used to model the motion of the arm and predict its behavior.

5. Why is understanding moment of inertia and DEs important for a trebuchet arm?

Understanding moment of inertia and DEs is important for a trebuchet arm because it allows for accurate prediction and control of the arm's motion, which is crucial for successful and safe operation of the weapon.