1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modeling heat ODE

1. Jan 14, 2016 #1
    • Member warned about posting without the homework template
    Im stuck on this question, can someone please help me?

u(t) = input power [W].
    x(t) = temperature in plate [Celsius]
    v = 0, temperature of surroundings [Celsius]
    C = 400, heat capacity for plate [J/ Celsius]
    g = 2, heat transfer plate / air [W / Celsius]

Question is something like this:
    You're playing with the heat plate (Kitchen). The plate might be considered like a flat heat element, that radiates heat to the surroundings.
    Find a differential equation for x(t).

Nb: the change of temperature in the room migtht be neglected due to
    air circulation

Should be on the form like: x'(t) = ax + bu

I assume i need to use the ΔE = W + Q, but i kind of have no clue how to even start.
    I checked if there was a solutions manual but, it was partly broken. The only experience i have with modelling something with heat is the heat equation. But that's a partial differential equation, and only one-dimentional, and i 'm not sure how to handle two functions in one equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2016 #2
    I know should try to come up with a possible solution, but I’ve been stuck with this all day, and I can't find any similar problems to start with either.

4. Jan 14, 2016 #3
    This is a 1D steady state heat conduction problem with heat generation within the body and a convective heat loss boundary condition at one of the surfaces. You need to perform a differential heat balance on a portion of the plate between x and x + Δx.

5. Jan 16, 2016 #4
  6. Jan 17, 2016 #5
    Ok, I think I got it.

C dx = u dt - g(x-v)dt
    x'(t) = - (g / C)x + (1 / C)u

Just an additional question: Is there some better way to type in equation, like Latex or similiar?

7. Jan 17, 2016 #6
    Do you see the words "LaTex / BBcode Guides" under the reply window?

8. Jan 17, 2016 #7
    Ah, found it !

So the answer would be [itex] \dot{x} = - \frac{g}{C}x + \frac{1}{C}u [/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted