Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modeling of Car Braking System

1. Jan 7, 2008 #1
    Hi,
    I would like to know "how the braking system in a car can be modeled" i.e.,upon applying the force on pedal,how the force gets applied on the tires of the car.Please also give the equations which need to be considered for developing the model.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2008 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Gutsy. I know nothing from formulae (although I could probably work out something like this if necessary). One thing to remember is that modern braking systems involve far more than the basics. Even my '72 Roadrunner has dual proportional braking with front discs; never mind when you get into ABS and traction control systems.
    In the simplest system, application of force to a lever of some kind causes a frictional surface to be brought into contact with a rotating part that you want to stop.
    On stage coaches, carriages, etc., that meant a leather-lined wooden block pressed against the rim of the wheel by means of a hand lever. Later designs had a smaller inner wheel on the same axle, to which the force was applied. This eventually evolved into the brake drum and shoes, which then introduced hydraulics. From there, aircraft technology brought about disc/caliper systems, which necessitated power boosting.

4. Jan 8, 2008 #3

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For starters, why not try a simple search in Google?

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/disc-brake.htm

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/drum-brake.htm

Basically, you have a force applied to something (might involve hydraulics) that creates friction, which in turn creates heat, and the resulting frictional load slows the thing down. Unfortunately, modeling a braking system is not as simple as plugging numbers into a few magic equations, it takes understadning of hydraulics, dynamics, heat transfer, and material properties.

5. Jan 8, 2008 #4
    @mech_engineer,all

Thanks for ur inputs,
    i had gone thru them previously but unable to go past them as i don't have any knowledge on the areas u specified.

Can anybody help me out.Also, i am not looking at vibrational analysis of the system(car).

Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?