Modeling of Car Braking System

In summary, braking systems in cars involve a force being applied to a lever, which causes friction and heat to be generated. This in turn slows the car down. Unfortunately, modeling a braking system is not as simple as plugging numbers into a few magic equations, it takes understadning of hydraulics, dynamics, heat transfer, and material properties.
Gutsy
Hi,
I would like to know "how the braking system in a car can be modeled" i.e.,upon applying the force on pedal,how the force gets applied on the tires of the car.Please also give the equations which need to be considered for developing the model.

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Gutsy. I know nothing from formulae (although I could probably work out something like this if necessary). One thing to remember is that modern braking systems involve far more than the basics. Even my '72 Roadrunner has dual proportional braking with front discs; never mind when you get into ABS and traction control systems.
In the simplest system, application of force to a lever of some kind causes a frictional surface to be brought into contact with a rotating part that you want to stop.
On stage coaches, carriages, etc., that meant a leather-lined wooden block pressed against the rim of the wheel by means of a hand lever. Later designs had a smaller inner wheel on the same axle, to which the force was applied. This eventually evolved into the brake drum and shoes, which then introduced hydraulics. From there, aircraft technology brought about disc/caliper systems, which necessitated power boosting.

For starters, why not try a simple search in Google?

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/disc-brake.htm

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/drum-brake.htm

Basically, you have a force applied to something (might involve hydraulics) that creates friction, which in turn creates heat, and the resulting frictional load slows the thing down. Unfortunately, modeling a braking system is not as simple as plugging numbers into a few magic equations, it takes understadning of hydraulics, dynamics, heat transfer, and material properties.

@mech_engineer,all

Thanks for ur inputs,
i had gone thru them previously but unable to go past them as i don't have any knowledge on the areas u specified.

Can anybody help me out.Also, i am not looking at vibrational analysis of the system(car).

Thank you

1. What is the purpose of modeling a car braking system?

The purpose of modeling a car braking system is to simulate and analyze the behavior of the system under different conditions. This allows researchers to understand the performance of the braking system and make improvements to ensure safety and efficiency.

2. What factors are considered in a car braking system model?

A car braking system model takes into account various factors such as the weight and speed of the car, the type and condition of the brake components, road surface conditions, and the driver's reaction time. These factors influence the overall braking performance of the car.

3. How is a car braking system model created?

A car braking system model is created using mathematical equations and computer simulations. These models are based on the physical principles of force, motion, and friction, and are validated through experimental data. Advanced modeling techniques such as finite element analysis may also be used to accurately represent the complex behavior of the system.

4. What are the benefits of using a car braking system model?

Using a car braking system model can help in predicting the performance of the system in different scenarios, identifying potential issues and areas for improvement, and reducing the time and cost of physical testing. It also allows for the optimization of the braking system for specific vehicle designs and driving conditions.

5. How accurate are car braking system models?

The accuracy of a car braking system model depends on the complexity and level of detail included in the model, as well as the quality of data used for validation. Generally, these models have a high level of accuracy and are constantly being improved and refined with new technologies and research.