Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modeling of sandwich (honeycomb) composites in Ansys workbench or APDL if you like

1. Jul 18, 2010 #1
    When I model a honeycomb type composite in workbench I tired modeling the core material as an orthogonal material type using solid tet elements and the aluminum face sheets as isotropic shell elements. I base the core material properties off of the honeycomb manufactures data for stiffness. using this approach I am able to get fairly accurate stress results when compared to hand calculations of the same simple problems (i.e. simple beam with distributed loading) but my deflections are completely wrong. I was hoping someone could give me insight on how to go about modeling sandwich composites in workbench......hopefully without paying another 50k for some type of composites modeler. Also I am getting a little better at APDL so if anyone wants to give advice based upon it I would be all ears.

Also I get tons of penetration between the face sheet and core material, should I use a non-penalty based contact or will this mess things up even more.

I hope this post makes sense....it is very late here and I am about to fall asleep on my keyboard.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2010 #2

minger

Science Advisor

Re: Modeling of sandwich (honeycomb) composites in Ansys workbench or APDL if you lik

Rather than using contact elements, perhaps you could try coupling them (CP)?

4. Jul 20, 2010 #3
    Re: Modeling of sandwich (honeycomb) composites in Ansys workbench or APDL if you lik

Way better results doing in like that. Thanks again minger

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook