Solving Modeling Problem with 2 Intersecting Rectangles

• Thread starter ahanesh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modeling
In summary, the two rectangles are created using a simple rectangle area. The vertical rectangle has no effect on the horizontal one, but contact elements are necessary to avoid failure.
ahanesh
Hope this finds you well...

i am having a problem analyzing a simple model that consists of 2 rectangles intersecting. the creation of the rectangles, material definition, BC, loading conditions...etc is done. but first: how can i define one rectangle to be a rigid body? second: the vertical rectangle seem to deform, but has no effect whatsoever on the horizontal rectangle??

Please help. Thank you in advance

P.S I've included a file of the model.

Attachments

• ansys model1.JPG
    ansys model1.JPG
    12.3 KB · Views: 449
Engineering news on Phys.org
How were the two rectangles, which I assume are bars, or blocks created? Are these rectangles 2-D?

What does it mean that the two rectangles are intersecting? Does the vertical rectangle sit atop the horizontal rectangle?

If these are two physically independent structures, one needs to use contact elements between the nodes, which are in contact at the two surfaces. This allow the transmission of load and allows contacting nodes to displace together.

http://www.uic.edu/depts/accc/software/ansys/html/elem_55/chapter4/ES4-12.htm
http://www.uic.edu/depts/accc/software/ansys/html/elem_55/chapter4/ES4-52.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
they were created using simple rectangle areas. yes thery are 2-D.
there are like L-shated rectangles. forct is applied at one rectangle from its farend horizontal line, which if effect should deflect the horizontal rectangle which is only constrained from one end. the simulation is supposed to be linear and static. is there any way i can avoid contact?

Thank you for your reply

is there any way i can avoid contact?
I believe the only way would be to have a single solid body. I suspect the 'two' rectangles behave as two separate bodies, and hence, contact elements between adjacent contacting nodes (or adjacent elements) are necessary.

yes. but hen i use contact element, my analysis will somewhat involve nonlinearity of which is not the assumption considered in my type of analysis. i ant to considere a perfect bond wetmeen the bodies and contact is not to be considered. this can be easly accoplished in Ansys Workbench, but in classical ansys, failure is my end result :(

1. How do you determine the intersection of two rectangles?

To determine the intersection of two rectangles, you can use the following steps:

• Find the x-coordinate of the leftmost rectangle by comparing the x-coordinates of the left edges of both rectangles.
  • Find the y-coordinate of the bottommost rectangle by comparing the y-coordinates of the bottom edges of both rectangles.
  • Find the x-coordinate of the rightmost rectangle by comparing the x-coordinates of the right edges of both rectangles.
  • Find the y-coordinate of the topmost rectangle by comparing the y-coordinates of the top edges of both rectangles.
  • The intersection of the two rectangles will be a new rectangle with these coordinates.

2. How do you find the area of the intersection of two rectangles?

The area of the intersection of two rectangles can be found by multiplying the width and height of the new rectangle formed by the intersection. This can be calculated as follows:

Area = (x-coordinate of rightmost rectangle - x-coordinate of leftmost rectangle) * (y-coordinate of topmost rectangle - y-coordinate of bottommost rectangle)

3. What should be done if the two rectangles do not intersect?

If the two rectangles do not intersect, the resulting intersection rectangle will have either a negative width or height. In this case, the intersection area will be equal to 0.

4. Can the intersection of two rectangles be a line or a single point?

Yes, the intersection of two rectangles can be a line or a single point. This will occur if one of the rectangles is completely contained within the other, resulting in a line or point as the intersection area.

5. How does the intersection of two rectangles affect the positioning of the rectangles?

The intersection of two rectangles does not affect the positioning of the rectangles. The original positions of the rectangles remain the same, but the intersection area will be a new rectangle with its own coordinates.