Solve Modeling Problem: Find Salt in Tank After 10 mins

• Thread starter nrm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modeling
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving mixing salt water in a tank and finding the amount of salt in the tank after a certain amount of time. The problem is solved using differential equations and the final outcome is determined based on the initial conditions.
nrm
I was hoping that I could find help solving this problem. I've been working on it for a while and haven't been able to solve it correctly.

A tank originally contains 100 gal of fresh water. Then water containing 0.5 lb of salt per gallon is poured into the tank at a rate of 2 gal/min, and the mixture is allowed to leave at the same rate. After ten minutes the process is stopped, and fresh water is poured into the tank at a rate of 2 gal/min, with the mixture again leaving at the same rate. Find the amount of salt in the tank at the end of an additional 10 min.

So far I have:
[tex]
\frac{dQ}{dt} = r - \frac{rQ}{100}
[/tex]

Where Q is the amount of salt, r is the rate in and out.
I think that this may work for the first 10 minutes while the salt is part of what is getting mixed in, but after that I'm lost. Any help will be appriciated.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
you first need an expression for dy/dt

dy / dt = rate_in - rate_out

rate_in = .5 lb/gal * 2 gal/min = 1lb/min

rate_out = y(t) / 100 lb/gal * 2 gal / min = y(t) / 50 lb/min

so dy/dt = 1 lb/min - y(t) / 50 lb/min

then you find the IF and go from there

nrm said:
I was hoping that I could find help solving this problem. I've been working on it for a while and haven't been able to solve it correctly.

So far I have:
[tex]
\frac{dQ}{dt} = r - \frac{rQ}{100}
[/tex]
Where Q is the amount of salt, r is the rate in and out.

No, not quite. There are 2 gallons of water coming in every minute (I don't know why you call that "r") and each gallon carries 1/2 pound of salt so 2*(1/2) = 1 pound of salt comes in every minute ((1/2)r, not r). Each gallon of water going out contains [itex]\frac{Q}{100}[/itex] pounds of salt so the amount going out is [itex]\frac{rQ}{100}[/itex] as you have (with, of course, r= 2). The differential equation is:
[tex]\frac{dQ}{dt}= 1- \frac{Q}{50}[/tex]
Also, of course, Q(0)= 0.

I think that this may work for the first 10 minutes while the salt is part of what is getting mixed in, but after that I'm lost. Any help will be appriciated.
Thank you.

Yes, so solve that differential equation for Q(t) and use it to find Q(10).
Now, start all over again. Now, there is NO salt coming in so the differential equation is
[tex]\frac{dQ}{dt}= -\frac{Q}{50}[/tex].
Q(10)= whatever you found before and then find Q(20) (ten more minutes).

(Since t does not appear explicitely in that equation, you could just "restart" the clock: Let Q(0)= whatever you found before and then find Q(10) from this new equation.)

Thanks to both of you for replying. I've got it all worked out.

1. How do you determine the amount of salt in the tank after 10 minutes?

The amount of salt in the tank after 10 minutes can be determined by using mathematical modeling and solving for the concentration of salt in the tank at that time.

2. What factors are involved in solving this modeling problem?

The factors involved in solving this modeling problem include the initial concentration of salt in the tank, the rate at which salt is being added or removed from the tank, and the volume and flow rate of the liquid in the tank.

3. Can this modeling problem be solved using a computer program?

Yes, this modeling problem can be solved using a computer program by inputting the necessary variables and using mathematical operations to calculate the concentration of salt in the tank after 10 minutes.

4. How accurate are the results of this modeling problem?

The accuracy of the results will depend on the accuracy of the initial data and the assumptions made in the modeling process. However, with precise data and a well-developed model, the results can be highly accurate.

5. Are there any real-world applications for this modeling problem?

Yes, this type of modeling problem can be applied to various scenarios such as determining the concentration of a chemical in a reaction over time, predicting the spread of pollutants in a body of water, or monitoring the amount of medication in a patient's bloodstream.