Model RL Circuit: Why "RI" & Not "dI"?

• Thread starter asdf1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modeling
In summary, the correct answer for modeling a RL-circuit is L(dI/dt)+RI=V. However, the "I" in "RI" does not have to be "dI" because in the presence of an inductor, the voltage drop across it is directly proportional to the change in current, while in a resistor it is proportional to the current. This is reflected in the modeling equation, which is based on the physics of the system. The current is always changing, but in a resistor it is directly proportional to the voltage, while in an inductor it is proportional to the change in magnetic flux. This is why in the modeling equation for an inductor, the voltage is equal to the inductance multiplied
asdf1
if you model a RL-circuit, the correct answer should be L(dI/dt)+RI=V
but why doesn't the "I" in "RI" have to be "dI"?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If ther were no inductor, would you need (dI/dt)?

Regards

no, but in that case there is an inductor,
so shouldn't the "I" be "dI"?

asdf1 said:
no, but in that case there is an inductor,
so shouldn't the "I" be "dI"?
Think of two circuits; one with just a resistor and one with just an inductor (ideal with no resistance).

Such terms are not arbitrarily assigned. The voltage drop across an inductor is directly proportional to the CHANGE in current. The voltage drop across a resistor is proportional to the CURRENT. This is reflected in the modeling equation which must be based on the physics of the system.

@@a
still a little confused~
but isn't the current always changing?
so there isn't supposed to be "I"?

In a resistor the instant voltage is proportional to the instant current:[tex] v(t) = R i(t)[/tex] (Ohm's law).
In an inductor, the instant magnetic flux is proportional to the instant current: [tex]\phi(t) = L i(t)[/tex].
But by Faraday's law, the voltage in a circuit is the derivative of the flux: [tex]v(t) =\frac{d\phi}{dt}[/tex], so [tex]v(t) =L\frac{di}{dt}[/tex].

thanks~
i think i thought too much...
:P

1. Why is "RI" used instead of "dI" in a model RL circuit?

In a model RL circuit, "RI" is used to represent the voltage drop across the resistor, while "dI" represents the change in current. This is because the resistor has a constant resistance, while the current can change over time. Therefore, using "RI" allows for a more accurate representation of the voltage in the circuit.

2. How is "RI" calculated in a model RL circuit?

The value of "RI" in a model RL circuit is calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that the voltage drop across a resistor is equal to the product of the resistance and the current flowing through it. Therefore, "RI" is equal to the resistance value of the resistor multiplied by the current in the circuit.

3. Can "RI" ever be equal to "dI" in a model RL circuit?

In a model RL circuit, "RI" and "dI" can only be equal if the current in the circuit is constant. This would mean that there is no change in the current over time, and therefore the representation of the voltage using "RI" would be equivalent to the change in current using "dI". However, in most cases, the current will not be constant and therefore "RI" and "dI" will not be equal.

4. What role does the resistor play in a model RL circuit?

The resistor in a model RL circuit is responsible for limiting the flow of current in the circuit. It is used to control the voltage and current in the circuit and prevent it from becoming too high, which can cause damage to the circuit components. The resistance value of the resistor is also used in calculations to determine the voltage drop across it.

5. How does a model RL circuit differ from a real RL circuit?

In a model RL circuit, the components are ideal and do not take into account factors such as resistance in the wiring, capacitance, and inductance of the components. In a real RL circuit, these factors can affect the behavior of the circuit and may need to be taken into consideration in calculations. Additionally, real circuits may have additional components such as capacitors or diodes that can affect the overall behavior of the circuit.