Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modeling Rain Hitting Surface

1. Apr 20, 2014 #1
    I would like to model rain hitting a surface and then running off of the surface. The surface would be a square, such as a slab of concrete, and the concrete would not be at any angle, so the rain would run off of all sides equally. This is a starting point for a small research project I am doing, and I'm not sure if my differential equations are right. Any help would be great.

Further information: The rain is falling at a constant rate. The ground surrounding the concrete has an unlimited capacity for rain. I am assuming that the concrete is initially fully saturated, so none of the rain will be absorbed into the concrete. I am also assuming that the rain is only falling on the concrete, not the surrounding ground.

[itex]\frac{dP}{dt}[/itex]=c-g

[itex]\frac{dG}{dt}[/itex]=p

[itex]\frac{dP}{dt}[/itex] is the rate of change of water on the pavement.

[itex]\frac{dG}{dt}[/itex] is the rate of change of water on the ground

c is the constant rate of rainfall.
    g is the constant flow of water from the pavement onto the ground.
    p is the rate at which water is flowing onto the ground.

Now that I think about it, g must equal p. So my new differential equations would be:

[itex]\frac{dP}{dt}[/itex]=c-g

[itex]\frac{dG}{dt}[/itex]=g

Does this look right? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Either you are using "P" and "p" and "G" and "g" interchangeably or you have not defined "P" and "G". Either is bad.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook