1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modeling rocket displacement

1. Jul 31, 2007 #1
    I'm trying to model (purely for my own edification) the behavior of a rocket (specifically w.r.t. significant mass loss over time). I *think* I have everything correct, but I'm not totally confident with how I'm computing the vertical displacement (assuming no air resistance)

I have the following:
    [tex] m(t) = m_{rocket+fuel} - \dot m t[/tex]
    [tex]v_{rocket}(t) = v_{eject} \cdot ln \left ( m_{rocket+fuel} \over m(t) \right) - g t[/tex]
    [tex]{\dot m} = {F_{thrust} \over v_{eject}}[/tex]
    [tex]E_k(t) ={{ m(t) \cdot v(t)^{2} } \over 2}[/tex]

Hopefully so far I'm ok...I'm assuming constant thrust force and eject velocity, which I am given to understand is ok. I'm also neglecting air resistance.

My reasoning is that since I'm starting from 0 velocity, 0 kinetic energy (I know, rotation of the earth, etc. la la la I can't hear you :tongue2:), the total kinetic energy is the work done, so I have distance:
    [tex]d(t) = {E_k(t) \over F_{thrust}}[/tex]

Is there a better way? I'm working (slowly) on integrating v(t), but it's really quite hairy. And my calc (like my physics) is, well, very poor. (i.e. self taught). I have a spreadsheet where I've got some numbers generated by the above, so if it would be helpful to post those, I can do so.

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted