1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modeling shot noise on Mathematica

1. Oct 9, 2011 #1
    I've been having some trouble modeling shot noise for a photomultiplier tube on Mathematica - I know that I have to use a random number generator and the Poisson distribution to do it, but I'm having trouble synthesizing everything. (There are many things I'm going to leave just as parameters, such as the average photon incidence rate, the quantum efficiency of the PMT's photocathode, the number of dynodes in the PMT.) I'm trying to basically model the voltage sequence that is outputted from the PMT.

This article says that I should superimpose all the inflowing shots (along with an exponential decay of the shot).

Would really appreciate some direction on putting it together in Mathematica. Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted