Modeling Suction Force: Tips & Solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving net force, weight, and suction force. The speaker is unsure of what is being asked and suggests considering the components of suction force and any potential differences in the scenarios. They also mention the importance of the direction component of added acceleration. Ultimately, the question is about determining the relevant difference and overall task at hand.
Adeel Ahmad
Homework Statement
I have 2 scenarios.
Scenario 1: I am lifting an object with a suction cup using a robot arm which then accelerates. I know the values for suction force, object weight, acceleration, and suction area of the suction cup.

Scenario 2: I am lifting another object with a suction cup but the object has a different weight. I only know the object weight and acceleration in this scenario. However I need to find the suction area while making sure it is proportional to the object weight and suction area from the first scenario. How can I solve for this?
Relevant Equations
F=ma or W (suction force) = A (suction area) * P (vacuum value)
At a total loss here

Physics news on Phys.org
##\text{net force }ma=\text{weight}+\text{suction force}##, I guess?

If you read it over a bunch of times you can probably get an idea of what they're asking you to do.

A couple of questions might help (or not) :
- what two components make up "suction force" ?
- is it the same suction cup in both scenarios ? If not, what would be the relevant difference.
- is the direction component of added acceleration the same in both cases ? If so, what is the direction component.

What are they actually asking you to do ?

1. What is suction force?

Suction force is the force that is created when a fluid (such as air or water) is pulled towards a surface due to a difference in pressure.

2. Why is modeling suction force important?

Modeling suction force is important because it allows us to accurately predict and understand how fluids will behave when they are pulled towards a surface, which is crucial in many industries such as engineering, medicine, and environmental science.

3. What are some common challenges when modeling suction force?

Some common challenges when modeling suction force include accurately determining the properties of the fluid and surface, accounting for external factors such as turbulence or surface roughness, and accurately representing the complex physics involved in suction force.

4. What are some tips for modeling suction force?

Some tips for modeling suction force include using computational fluid dynamics (CFD) software to simulate and visualize the behavior of the fluid, conducting experiments to validate the model, and considering the specific conditions and parameters of the system being studied.

5. What are some solutions for improving the accuracy of suction force models?

Some solutions for improving the accuracy of suction force models include using more advanced CFD techniques, incorporating real-world data and observations into the model, and collaborating with experts in the field to gain a deeper understanding of the physics involved.