1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modeling unfolding paper cylinder under given external moment

1. Sep 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a cylinder (roll) of paper rotating about it's axis. Paper density - [tex]\rho[/tex], cylinder length - [tex]L[/tex] and cylinder initial radius - [tex]R_0[/tex]. External torque - [tex]\tau(t)[/tex] is applied in the direction of cylinder axis. Given initial angular velocity - [tex]\omega_0[/tex] find the evolution of [tex]R(t)[/tex] and [tex]\omega(t)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    Conservation of angular momentum, [tex]\frac{d}{dt}\left(Iw\right)=\tau(t)[/tex].
    Moment of inertia, [tex]I(t)=\frac{\pi L\rho R^4}{2}[/tex].
    Kinematic Relation, [tex]R(t)\omega(t)=V(t)[/tex]. (here [tex]V(t)[/tex] is the unwinding velocity of the paper sheet)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I reach the following DAE, [tex]2\frac{\dot{R}}{R}+\frac{\dot{\omega}} {2 \omega} = \frac{\tau}{\omega R^4 \pi L \rho}[/tex]
    It seems I'm missing some relation between [tex]\omega(t)[/tex] and [tex]I(t)[/tex].
    Help is appreciated !

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?