Modeling Uniform Field Gap Electrodes, Rogowski or others

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of designing uniform field gap electrodes using the Rogowski profile. The paper "Electrode Design for Testing in Uniform Field Gaps" is referenced and equations are mentioned, including the definition of the equipotential surface and the characteristic distance A. The conversation also touches on finding the radius of the outer electrode, Ro.
js2020
Hi,

I am trying to design uniform field gap electrodes using the Rogowski profile. I've read some papers on it, but I'm completely new to this and I am just having a hard time translating what's in the paper to my Matlab code to produce the same results. I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but I've tried for a while now and I'm stuck so wanted to reach out for help.

I am following a paper called "Electrode Design for Testing in Uniform Field Gaps" found at <a href="" rel="noopener"

N. G. Trinh, "Electrode Design for Testing in Uniform Field Gaps," in IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems, vol. PAS-99, no. 3, pp. 1235-1242, May 1980, doi: 10.1109/TPAS.1980.319754.

If you cannot access it, just let me know.

- I would like to start off with equation (1) which simplifies to (2) assuming psi=90 degrees. Psi is defined as the equipotential surface, but I'm not completely sure what that is. Is that the angle between the equipotential surface and the field lines?
- A is defined as the characteristic distance separating the plane electrode from the infinite ground plane, but it looks like it is actually the distance from the ground plane to the plane electrode plus 1/2 the thickness (T) of the electrode, correct?
- How to I find Ro? It states that R=Ro+Re where Re=2Re, but I do not see Ro anywhere.

If I can get this, I think I can put it in Matlab to make it work.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I am glad to see that you are working on designing uniform field gap electrodes using the Rogowski profile. It can be a bit challenging to translate the information from a paper into code, but with some guidance, I believe you will be able to achieve your desired results.

To answer your questions:

1. The equipotential surface is a surface where all points have the same potential. In this case, it refers to the surface of the electrode. So, psi=90 degrees means that the surface of the electrode is perpendicular to the electric field lines. It is important to note that this simplification only works for specific electrode geometries, so make sure to check if it applies to your design.

2. You are correct. A is the distance from the ground plane to the plane electrode, plus half the thickness of the electrode. This is because the electrode is modeled as a finite plane, so the characteristic distance is measured from its center.

3. Ro is the radius of the outer electrode. It is not explicitly stated in the paper, but you can calculate it using the information provided. From the paper, we know that R=Ro+Re, and Re=2Re. Therefore, Ro=R-Re=2Re. You can also use the equation for Ro provided in the paper (equation 3) to calculate it.

I hope this helps you with your design. If you have any further questions, please let me know. Good luck with your project!

1. What is the purpose of modeling uniform field gap electrodes?

The purpose of modeling uniform field gap electrodes is to understand the behavior and performance of these electrodes in different electrical systems. This can help in designing more efficient and reliable systems, as well as troubleshooting any issues that may arise.

2. What is the difference between Rogowski electrodes and other types of uniform field gap electrodes?

Rogowski electrodes are a type of uniform field gap electrode that use a coiled conductor to measure electric fields. Other types of uniform field gap electrodes may use different materials or designs, but they all serve the same purpose of measuring electric fields.

3. How do you create a model for uniform field gap electrodes?

To create a model for uniform field gap electrodes, you will need to gather information about the electrode's dimensions, materials, and surrounding environment. This information can then be used to create a computer simulation or mathematical model to analyze the behavior of the electrode.

4. What factors can affect the performance of uniform field gap electrodes?

There are several factors that can affect the performance of uniform field gap electrodes, including the shape and size of the electrode, the materials used, the voltage and frequency of the electric field, and the presence of any nearby objects or structures.

5. How can modeling uniform field gap electrodes be useful in practical applications?

Modeling uniform field gap electrodes can be useful in practical applications by providing insight into the behavior of these electrodes in different scenarios. This can help in optimizing their design for specific applications, as well as identifying potential issues and finding solutions to improve their performance.