Modelling a flow past a symmetric body

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to model the streamlines for an incompressible, irrotational flow around various symmetric bodies, starting with an ellipse. Several equations and attempts at finding the source strengths using MATLAB are mentioned, but it is determined that the issue lies in the assumption of irrotational flow and the need to take into account vorticity and potential asymmetry in the flow around an ellipse. Further research and experimentation is needed for accurate modeling.
mybrainhurts

Homework Statement

I need to model the streamlines for an incompressible, irrotational flow about various symmetric bodies, starting with an ellipse

Homework Equations

for a uniform flow in the positive x direction, psi =y
for a source/sink of strength K at (xn,yn)
psi = Karctan((y-yn)/(x-xn))
at any point along the body, there must be no flow across it, and hence psi = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

the stream function for the whole flow = Uy+ SUM Knarctan(y/(x-xn)) (no ydisplacement as all sources are on axis)
this = 0 at each of the control points y(m) (and everywhere else along the surface of the sphere, but a number of control points = to the number of sources should be appropriate)

hence
Knpsin(m) - Uy(m) = 0

and so I should be able to get the strengths from the following MATLAB code (taking U =1)
Code:
n = 10;
L = 1;
D = 0.5;
dx = 2*L/(n+1);
xs = -L+dx:dx:L-dx;   % uniformly distributed
xb = -L+dx:dx:L-dx   % uniformly distributed
%
% definition of body geometry
%
   yb = D*sqrt(1-xb.^2./L^2); % ellipse
%
% plot control points
%
figure
plot([-L xb L],[0 yb 0],[-L xb L],[0 -yb 0])
axis equal
%
% compute source strengths
%
% K = strength
%
for i=1:n
    for j=1:n
        a(i,j) = atan(yb(i)./(xb(i)-xs(j))); 
    end
    b(i,1) = -yb(i);
end
K = a\b

However this, results in all negative values for K, meaning a huge total removal of volume from the system instead of the expected no (or approximately no) change, and hence a set of funky streamlines that look nothing at all like a flow around an ellipse.

EDIT: realized I made a mistake, should be b(i,1) = yb(i) (not -yb(i)) however this just results in all strengths being positive, so I get what looks like a funky superposition of flows around multiple semi-infinite bodies.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

After further analysis, I have determined that the issue lies in the assumption that the flow is irrotational. In reality, there will be some degree of vorticity present in the flow around the ellipse, which will affect the streamlines and source strengths. To accurately model the flow, the vorticity must be taken into account and incorporated into the equations. Additionally, the flow around an ellipse is not necessarily symmetric, so the equations used may need to be modified to account for this asymmetry. Further research and experimentation will be necessary to accurately model the flow around an ellipse.

1. What is the purpose of modelling a flow past a symmetric body?

The purpose of modelling a flow past a symmetric body is to understand and predict the behavior of fluid flow around a symmetrical object. This is important in various fields such as aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, and engineering design.

2. What are the key factors that affect the flow past a symmetric body?

The key factors that affect the flow past a symmetric body include the shape and size of the body, the viscosity of the fluid, the velocity of the flow, and the angle of attack of the body.

3. What are the common methods used for modelling a flow past a symmetric body?

The common methods used for modelling a flow past a symmetric body include computational fluid dynamics (CFD), wind tunnel experiments, and theoretical analysis using mathematical equations and principles.

4. What are some of the challenges faced in modelling a flow past a symmetric body?

Some of the challenges faced in modelling a flow past a symmetric body include accurately capturing the complex flow patterns and turbulence, accounting for boundary layer effects, and ensuring the validity and accuracy of the chosen modelling method.

5. How can the results of modelling a flow past a symmetric body be applied in real-world situations?

The results of modelling a flow past a symmetric body can be applied in various real-world situations such as designing efficient and aerodynamic vehicles, optimizing the performance of ships and aircraft, and improving the efficiency of fluid systems in industries like energy and manufacturing.