Modeling Thunderclouds with Point Charges and Conducting Planes

In summary, the conversation discusses modeling of a thunder cloud using point charges at different heights above the Earth's surface. The Earth's surface is modeled as a conducting plane at z=0. The aim is to sketch the electric field lines on a plane perpendicular to the earth and determine the safest place to be based on the electric field. The solution involves using image charges to satisfy boundary conditions, and finding the potential and electric field at different points using equations. The safest place is where the electric field vanishes on the surface, which is determined by setting Ez(x,y)=0 and obtaining a condition on r^2=x^2+y^2.
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A thunder cloud can be loosely modeled by two point charges -q and q at heights h and d above the Earth's surface with d > h. Model the Earth's surface as a conducting plane at z=0.
Sketch the Electric field lines (on a plane perpendicular to the earth). Indicate the field below the cloud, at a radial distance r, and far away from the cloud. Considering ##\underline{E}##, where is the safest place to be?

The Attempt at a Solution

To satisfy the boundary conditions (V=0 on surface of earth), two image charges are placed at a distance -h (a +q charge) and -d(a -q charge) from the plane. I have the potential due to all 4 charges as a function of x,y and z, from which I found the electric field as a function of the same variables.

From looking at the sketch, it appears to me that the E field should point in the +ve z direction below the cloud and this is confirmed by my eqn for E.
My expression for V is $$V=\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_o}\left(\frac{1}{(x^2+y^2+(z-d)^2)^{1/2}} - \frac{1}{(x^2+y^2+(z-h)^2)^{1/2}} - \frac{1}{(x^2+y^2+(z+d)^2)^{1/2}} + \frac{1}{(x^2+y^2+(z+h)^2)^{1/2}}\right)$$ and I found E by doing -gradV. (the expression is messier than the potential so I won't post it).. I can draw the general sketch of the field lines emanating form the dipole, but I am not sure if that is what the question requires. Perhaps it wants me to draw the general sketch and then confirm it with my eqn for E at particular points.
The safest place would be the place where E vanishes on the surface, but I am not sure how to express this in words or mathematically. I set ##E_z(x,y)=0## and I obtained a condition on ##r^2 = x^2 + y^2##.

I attached a sketch of my drawing
Many thanks.

Attachments

• dipole.png
    dipole.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody any comments? I should have not drawn the E field below the plane, because the charges there are only there to help establish the boundary conditions.

1. What is "Modelling cloud via dipole"?

"Modelling cloud via dipole" is a scientific method used to predict the behavior and characteristics of clouds using the dipole model. This model assumes that clouds are made up of positively and negatively charged particles, and the interactions between these particles can help explain the formation, movement, and other properties of clouds."

2. How does the dipole model work?

The dipole model works by considering the forces and interactions between the positively and negatively charged particles within a cloud. These forces can cause the particles to cluster together, forming larger droplets or ice crystals, and can also influence the movement and shape of the cloud. By understanding these interactions, scientists can create models that accurately predict the behavior of clouds.

3. What are the benefits of using the dipole model to study clouds?

Using the dipole model to study clouds allows scientists to gain a better understanding of how and why clouds form, move, and change. This can help improve weather forecasting and climate modeling, as well as provide insights into how clouds impact the Earth's energy balance and precipitation patterns.

4. Are there any limitations to the dipole model?

Like any scientific model, the dipole model has its limitations. It simplifies the complex interactions within a cloud and does not account for all factors that may influence cloud behavior. It also may not accurately represent the behavior of certain types of clouds, such as cumulonimbus clouds. However, it is still a valuable tool for studying and understanding cloud dynamics.

5. How is the dipole model used in practical applications?

The dipole model is used in a variety of practical applications, including weather forecasting, climate modeling, and research on the impact of clouds on the environment. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as cloud seeding, which aims to manipulate cloud behavior for various purposes, such as increasing precipitation in drought-prone areas or reducing the size of hailstones in severe storms.