How Is Drag Calculated on a Sphere in a Non-Uniform Flow Channel?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the initial drag force on a small sphere inserted into a microfluidic channel with laminar flow and a parabolic velocity profile. The challenge is to account for the non-uniform velocity profile and its impact on the sphere's drag and potential spin. Suggestions are made to use symmetry and simulation software to address the problem.
Red_CCF
Hi

This isn't a homework question, just a problem I thought up of but would require some implementation I don't really know how to do.

Homework Statement

If I have a microfluidic channel with laminar flow and a parabolic velocity profile as predicted in the Hagen-Poiseuille flow, and I insert into the channel a sphere of diameter 1/16th of that of the channel (can be anything really just something that's small but not negligible compared to the diameter), how would I calculate the initial drag force on the sphere assuming that Re<<1 such that there is no wake/flow separation?

The main problem here is that the velocity profile or uinf is not uniform, which means that all of the Cd data available is pretty much useless as they all assume uniform incoming flow.

I'm also wondering how the linear shear profile of the flow is reflected in the drag of the sphere since for a uniform incoming flow, there is no inherent shear stress in the flow. Also, would the varying incoming velocity cause the sphere to spin as well?

Homework Equations

Re = UD/v, v = 1/4μ * (r^2-R^2) * dp/dz

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry you're not getting any responses.

About all I can do is suggest that, by symmetry, there would not be spin imparted to your sphere. The only asymmetry would be gravity, so if you ignore that, I see no asymmetry in the fluid flow past the sphere, complex though it be.

rude man said:
Sorry you're not getting any responses.

About all I can do is suggest that, by symmetry, there would not be spin imparted to your sphere. The only asymmetry would be gravity, so if you ignore that, I see no asymmetry in the fluid flow past the sphere, complex though it be.

Hi

I believe that to be true if the sphere was placed at the center of the pipe, but if I place it say a quarter diameter from the wall of the pipe, the dv/dr would not be zero and if the flow velocity past the sphere is different intuitively I would think the shear stress would also be different, hence why I think there would be a spin. Is this deduction correct?

Thanks

Red_CCF said:
Hi

I believe that to be true if the sphere was placed at the center of the pipe, but if I place it say a quarter diameter from the wall of the pipe, the dv/dr would not be zero and if the flow velocity past the sphere is different intuitively I would think the shear stress would also be different, hence why I think there would be a spin. Is this deduction correct?

Thanks

Afraid you're right. I assumed center position for the sphere.

I'd try to find some good simulation software! Sorry I'm not of more help.

I also agree there would in the off-center case be spin unless viscosity = 0.

for the interesting problem! The initial drag force on the sphere can be calculated using the Stokes' drag equation, which is given by Fd = 6πμaU, where μ is the viscosity of the fluid, a is the radius of the sphere, and U is the velocity of the fluid at the surface of the sphere.

In this case, since the flow is laminar and Re<<1, the shear stress at the surface of the sphere can be calculated using the Hagen-Poiseuille equation, which you have already included in your post. This equation takes into account the non-uniform velocity profile and the resulting shear stress can be used to calculate the drag force.

As for the effect of the linear shear profile on the drag of the sphere, it will depend on the orientation of the sphere in the flow. If the sphere is aligned with the flow direction, the shear stress will not have an effect on the drag force. However, if the sphere is at an angle to the flow, the shear stress will contribute to the overall drag force.

Regarding the potential spinning of the sphere, this will also depend on the orientation and shape of the sphere. If the sphere is perfectly spherical and aligned with the flow, it is unlikely to spin. However, if the sphere is not perfectly spherical or at an angle to the flow, the varying velocity of the fluid may cause it to spin.

I hope this helps in solving your problem! Good luck!

1. What is "Modelling Drag on Sphere" and why is it important?

"Modelling Drag on Sphere" refers to the process of using mathematical equations and computer simulations to study the effects of air resistance, or drag, on a spherical object. This is important because understanding drag is crucial in designing efficient and aerodynamic objects, such as airplanes or sports equipment.

2. How is drag on a sphere calculated?

Drag on a sphere can be calculated using the drag equation, which takes into account the object's velocity, density of the surrounding fluid, and its cross-sectional area. The equation is: Drag = 0.5 x density x velocity² x drag coefficient x area. The drag coefficient is a value that depends on the shape and surface properties of the sphere.

3. What factors affect the amount of drag on a sphere?

The amount of drag on a sphere is affected by several factors, including the object's speed, size, shape, and surface properties. The properties of the surrounding fluid, such as its density and viscosity, also play a role in determining the amount of drag.

4. How does drag affect the motion of a sphere?

Drag has a significant impact on the motion of a sphere. As the sphere moves through a fluid, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion, which slows it down. This is because the fluid particles collide with the surface of the sphere, creating resistance or drag.

5. How is "Modelling Drag on Sphere" useful in real-world applications?

Understanding and accurately modelling drag on a sphere has many practical applications. It is essential in designing efficient transportation systems, such as cars, airplanes, and rockets. It is also crucial in sports, where reducing drag can improve performance. Additionally, it is useful in predicting the behavior of particles in fluids, such as in weather forecasting or studying ocean currents.