1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modelling heating requirements for a partially earth-bermed home

1. Mar 23, 2012 #1
    I'm getting a new house that's as described in my title wth two walls that are earth-bermed. I've seen a couple papers (http://stuff.mit.edu/afs/athena/dept/cron/project/concrete-sustainability-hub/Literature%20Review/Building%20Energy/Thermal%20Mass/Dynamic%20R%20Value%20rquivalent.pdf [Broken] indicating that something with concrete on the inside and insulation on the outside with a R-value of about 15 would have a DRE of about 35) on how much less energy a home using a lot of interior thermal mass can use compared to traditional home designs with the same R-value.

Along those lines putting external insulation is a great idea, but none of the papers I've seen have looked at how beneficial it is to insulate something that's earth-bermed on the interior. Seeing as interior insulation is the worst option of those mentioned in the MIT paper, I don't think I would see a huge difference, but I'm still wondering if it would be worthwhile to stick some foam board between the masonry and drywall for a modest r-value increase.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted