1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modelling: Second Order System

1. May 10, 2015 #1
    I have attached an image of a question I am trying to do, I want to find the differential equations that describe the second order system in the image.

I know for a spring, potential energy = 1/2.K.x (where k is the spring constant, and x is the distance the spring is stretched).

I know that damper dissipation is = 1/2.B.(dx/dt) (where B is the damping constant and dx/dt is the rate of change of position with respect to time).

My solution:

I try to build a free body diagram for each mass on its own:

I have showed a snapshot of my attempt for the D.E. describing the motion of m1.

If any of you guys could tell me if I am correct or you have a handy way of doing these types of questions please feel free to respond.

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Mark, welcome to PF :smile: !

For some reason the template has disappeared. Pity (*). The relevant equation is ##\Sigma F = ma##. So you want to sort out the signs a little more carefully (of the forces; ##-k## is not a force, nor is ##-B## ).

(*) Its use is mandatory in PF, for very good reasons; see the guidelines.

4. May 10, 2015 #3
    Hi BvU,

Apologies about the template, I will not post without a template again.

My notation there was a little careless, I did not mean to label K and B as forces, I was trying to imply that there is a force acting on mass m1 due to both the spring and the damper.

Spring: k.x1
    Damper: B.(x2dot-x1dot)

And that these two forces oppose the motion of mass m1 from left to right.

5. May 10, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

is good. And when you state that, you should also write something like ##m_1\ddot x_1 = -kx_1## and not e.g. ##m_1\ddot x_1 -kx_1 = 0 ## :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted