Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modelling sound waves in gases with Kinetic Theory

1. Dec 7, 2012 #1
    I am trying to find a description of sound waves and speed of sound in gases using Kinetic Theory. I mean to derive the sound waves in a medium like gas , composed of molecules moving and colliding as Kinetic Theory describes. The origin of the sound wave, as our experience shows, is the perturbation produced by percussion on a wall or some shock inside the gas.What I am trying to understand is which collision mechanism is involved in the transport of such a perturbation through the gas. And I would understand this not only qualitatively, but I would find a mathematical description of this mechanism as is done in solids.
    The only treatments I have found are from wave of macroscopic pressure.But these jump over the microscopic movement and collision.
    If somebody could tell me if there are such a description and the books of papers that treat this topic I will be very grateful.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted