1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Models for Population Growth

1. Jul 23, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The Pacific halibut fishery has been modeled by the differential equation.

[itex]\displaystyle\dfrac{dy}{dt}=ky\left(1-\dfrac{y}{M} \right)[/itex]

where y(t) is the biomass (the total mass of the members of the population) in kilograms at time t (measured in years), the carrying capacity is estimated to be [itex]M = 7\times 10^7 kg[/itex], and [itex]k=0.78[/itex] per year.

(a) If [itex]y(0)= 2\times 10^7 kg[/itex], find the biomass a year later. (Round your answer to two decimal places.)
    (b) How long will it take for the biomass to reach [itex]4\times 10^7 kg[/itex]? (Round your answer to two decimal places.)

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\displaystyle P= \dfrac{K}{1+Ce^{-kt}}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

K = carrying capacity [itex]\implies 7\times 10^7 kg[/itex]
    k = [itex]0.78[/itex] per year

At time 0, biomass is [itex]2\times 10^7 kg[/itex] [itex]\implies [/itex][itex]y(0)= 2\times 10^7 kg[/itex]

C = the difference between the carrying capacity and the initial capacity subtracted by 1.

[itex]C= \dfrac{7\times 10^7}{2 \times 10^7}-1=\dfrac{5}{2}[/itex]

[itex]P=\dfrac{7 \times 10^7}{1+\dfrac{5}{2}e^{-0.78\cdot1}}= 70000001.15 kg[/itex]

I'm trying to solve for the biomass (P) after 1 year. This answer doesn't seem correct. Am I using the wrong number for variable t? Or I'm not solving for P right away?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The two sides here are not equal. The denominator is larger than 1, the fraction cannot be larger than the numerator.

4. Jul 23, 2017 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is ##P## the same as ##y##? I assume so.

Your final equation is incorrect; it should be
    $$ \frac{7 \times 10^7}{1 +\displaystyle \frac{5}{2} e^{-0.78 \times 1}} = 4 \times 10^7$$

5. Jul 23, 2017 #4
    Thanks, guys, I got the right answer now. Major parentheses mistake for the calculator.

I can solve b, but for a.) I got [itex]3.26\times10^7[/itex]

6. Jul 24, 2017 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why the "but"? Your answer for (a) is correct.

7. Jul 24, 2017 #6
    Sorry for my bad English. For (a) I got [itex]3.26 \times 10^7[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted