Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moderation Proof

1. Dec 13, 2006 #1
    Hello. I'd be curious to know what you all think about my proof that the phrase "in moderation" is so often meaningless.

The rest of the proof is here.

All comments welcome. Cheers!
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks to me like you need to learn moderation in application of proofs. :approve:

To be truly moderate in all things you cannot be excessively moderate.
  4. Dec 13, 2006 #3
    Seek not the golden mean, but rather the golden extreme. After all, by similar means you can prove that you can't get too much of a good thing.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  5. Dec 13, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nice proof. I do hate it when my exam grades turn out terribly high! :biggrin:

The thing, in my opinion, that makes that statement not a tautology is the decision of which things lie in the set of "so often" things, and which do not.
  6. Dec 13, 2006 #5
    What I meant by "so often" was "almost always if not always". "Do everything in moderation" is just a phrase that means "don't stuff too much or too little", which is an idiotic thing to say, especially when the "too much" and "too little" thresholds are completely arbitrary.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?