Proving the Euler Phi Equation Divisible by 2: A Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter math_nerd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Euler Phi
In summary: If n is the product of some prime powers p1 through pr with exponents k1 through kr, you should be aware that \varphi(n)=(p_1-1)p_1^{k_1-1} \times (p_2-1)p_2^{k_2-1} \cdots \times(p_r-1)p_r^{k_r-1}. What can you say about the parity of this number?This number has parity 1.
math_nerd
Prove that the Euler phi equation is always divisible by 2. If n > 2.?
I don't understand how this proof works:

I think I need to show that the inverse of a and a are both generated by the same group. Therefore, there are at least 2 elements that generate all other elements in the group. I'm stumped.

Please give a thorough explanation of steps.

Physics news on Phys.org

You don't need to generate any groups. Just look at the definition of the phi function. If a is coprime to n, what about n-a?

Dick said:
You don't need to generate any groups. Just look at the definition of the phi function. If a is coprime to n, what about n-a?

Yes, this statement works. But I don't understand what it means by gcd(a,n-a)=1 is also coprime...does this show that there are two numbers within the same set of number that are coprime,..?

math_nerd said:
Yes, this statement works. But I don't understand what it means by gcd(a,n-a)=1 is also coprime...does this show that there are two numbers within the same set of number that are coprime,..?

n-a doesn't have to be coprime to a. It's coprime to n if a is. The point is that coprimes to n come in pairs.

I see. Once I show that coprimes come in pairs, the Euler phi function for n>2:

a = n-a
So 2a = n
a = n/2
Which shows that two numbers are coprime to n. But does this adequately prove that this holds for n>2?

Last edited:

If p is a prime > 2, then φ(p) = p-1. Since p > 2, p is odd, and p-1 is even, thus φ(p) is divisible by 2.

Now supposing n is the product of some prime powers p1 through pr with exponents k1 through kr, you should be aware that [itex]\varphi(n)=(p_1-1)p_1^{k_1-1} \times (p_2-1)p_2^{k_2-1} \cdots \times(p_r-1)p_r^{k_r-1}[/itex]. What can you say about the parity of this number?

Last edited:

1. What is the Euler Phi Equation?

The Euler Phi Equation is a mathematical formula that calculates the number of positive integers that are relatively prime to a given number n. It is denoted as φ(n) or sometimes referred to as Euler's totient function.

2. Why is it important to prove the Euler Phi Equation divisible by 2?

Proving the Euler Phi Equation divisible by 2 is important because it helps in understanding the properties of the equation and its applications in various fields of mathematics, such as number theory, cryptography, and algebra.

3. What is the step-by-step guide to proving the Euler Phi Equation divisible by 2?

The step-by-step guide involves using mathematical induction to show that the Euler Phi Equation is divisible by 2 for all positive integers. The steps include setting up the base case, assuming the equation holds for a particular value of n, and then proving it for the next value using the assumption and mathematical operations.

4. Are there any real-life applications of the Euler Phi Equation?

Yes, the Euler Phi Equation has various real-life applications, including in cryptography, where it is used to generate public and private keys for secure communication. It is also used in number theory to study prime numbers and their properties.

5. Is there a connection between the Euler Phi Equation and prime numbers?

Yes, there is a connection between the Euler Phi Equation and prime numbers. The equation can be used to determine the number of positive integers less than or equal to a given number that are relatively prime to it. This is particularly useful in identifying prime numbers, which have exactly φ(n) coprimes.