1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modern Algebra?

1. Sep 10, 2004 #1

gvk

What is the best book on Modern Algebra?
    Level from popular to undergraduate. :confused:
    And the history of this subject (who first introduced the notions of the ring and field?)
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2004 #2
    you want a good history? wikipedia my friend.

as for a text book....why, are you planning on learning it on your own?

4. Sep 11, 2004 #3
    For history see
    "The development of Galois theory from Lagrange to Artin" by B. Melvin Kiernan, published in Archive of the History of Exact Sciences #8(1971-1972) pp. 40-154

There's a section called "The Development of Field Theory" which starts on p. 125.

5. Sep 12, 2004 #4
    Archive for Hist. of Exact Sciences

Do you know of any way of getting online access to full text articles in the above journal without paying?

6. Sep 12, 2004 #5
    I have this one Algebra book. Which is very intresting(in my opinion).
    It is mostly High School Level Algebra.

Title:Algebra a modern approach

Authors: Max peters
    William L.Shaff

7. Sep 12, 2004 #6
    I think it's a pretty common journal; go to your local university library & photocopy it. That's what I did, but it cost me ~$6, & took forever. It's definitely worth it though, that article is epic & a must-read for anybody interested in algebra.

8. Sep 12, 2004 #7

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

this is a great classic book:

Van Der Waerden, B.L.
    Modern Algebra, Volume I
    New York, NY: Frederick Ungar, 1953*Hard Cover. Very Good/No Jacket. Hardcover without jacket, previous owner's name, no underlining, no highlighting, solid binding.
    Bookseller Inventory #4638

Price:*US$*14.95 (Convert Currency) Shipping:*Rates & Speed

Bookseller:*Bibliomancy, PO Box 513, Patuxent River, MD, U.S.A., 20670
    (Search this Bookseller's Books) (More Bookseller Information)

Terms of Sale:*Check, money order, or PayPal (blbiomancy@tqci.net). Full refund on prompt return of merchandise if book is not as described. No dealer discounts. Please make checks or money orders payable to Anthony Houser.

Buyer pays $3.50 media mail for first book and $1 each additional book. Priority mail available. Email for rates. Orders over $100 shipped free (media mail rate).
    Shipping Terms:*Shipping costs are based on books weighing 2.2 LB, or 1 KG. If your book order is heavy or oversized, we may contact you to let you know extra shipping is required.

Accepted Payment Methods:
    - Visa
    - MasterCard
    - Cheque
    - Money Order
    - Cash
    - Paypal

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?