Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modern Algebra?

1. Sep 10, 2004 #1

gvk

What is the best book on Modern Algebra?
    Level from popular to undergraduate. :confused:
    And the history of this subject (who first introduced the notions of the ring and field?)
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2004 #2
    you want a good history? wikipedia my friend.

as for a text book....why, are you planning on learning it on your own?

4. Sep 11, 2004 #3
    For history see
    "The development of Galois theory from Lagrange to Artin" by B. Melvin Kiernan, published in Archive of the History of Exact Sciences #8(1971-1972) pp. 40-154

There's a section called "The Development of Field Theory" which starts on p. 125.

5. Sep 12, 2004 #4
    Archive for Hist. of Exact Sciences

Do you know of any way of getting online access to full text articles in the above journal without paying?

6. Sep 12, 2004 #5
    I have this one Algebra book. Which is very intresting(in my opinion).
    It is mostly High School Level Algebra.

Title:Algebra a modern approach

Authors: Max peters
    William L.Shaff

7. Sep 12, 2004 #6
    I think it's a pretty common journal; go to your local university library & photocopy it. That's what I did, but it cost me ~$6, & took forever. It's definitely worth it though, that article is epic & a must-read for anybody interested in algebra.

8. Sep 12, 2004 #7

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

this is a great classic book:

Van Der Waerden, B.L.
    Modern Algebra, Volume I
    New York, NY: Frederick Ungar, 1953*Hard Cover. Very Good/No Jacket. Hardcover without jacket, previous owner's name, no underlining, no highlighting, solid binding.
    Bookseller Inventory #4638

Price:*US$*14.95 (Convert Currency) Shipping:*Rates & Speed

Bookseller:*Bibliomancy, PO Box 513, Patuxent River, MD, U.S.A., 20670
    (Search this Bookseller's Books) (More Bookseller Information)

Terms of Sale:*Check, money order, or PayPal (blbiomancy@tqci.net). Full refund on prompt return of merchandise if book is not as described. No dealer discounts. Please make checks or money orders payable to Anthony Houser.

Buyer pays $3.50 media mail for first book and $1 each additional book. Priority mail available. Email for rates. Orders over $100 shipped free (media mail rate).
    Shipping Terms:*Shipping costs are based on books weighing 2.2 LB, or 1 KG. If your book order is heavy or oversized, we may contact you to let you know extra shipping is required.

Accepted Payment Methods:
    - Visa
    - MasterCard
    - Cheque
    - Money Order
    - Cash
    - Paypal

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?