Best Books on Modern Algebra: Popular to Undergraduate

• Thread starter gvk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation discusses the best book on Modern Algebra and its level, as well as the history of the subject and available resources for learning about it. The recommended resources include a specific textbook and a classic book on the subject. The conversation also touches on the cost and availability of accessing full text articles from a journal.
gvk
What is the best book on Modern Algebra?
Level from popular to undergraduate. :confused:
And the history of this subject (who first introduced the notions of the ring and field?)
Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
you want a good history? wikipedia my friend.

as for a textbook...why, are you planning on learning it on your own?

For history see
"The development of Galois theory from Lagrange to Artin" by B. Melvin Kiernan, published in Archive of the History of Exact Sciences #8(1971-1972) pp. 40-154

There's a section called "The Development of Field Theory" which starts on p. 125.

Archive for Hist. of Exact Sciences

Do you know of any way of getting online access to full text articles in the above journal without paying?

I have this one Algebra book. Which is very interesting(in my opinion).
It is mostly High School Level Algebra.

Title:Algebra a modern approach

Authors: Max peters
William L.Shaff

edavak said:
Do you know of any way of getting online access to full text articles in the above journal without paying?

I think it's a pretty common journal; go to your local university library & photocopy it. That's what I did, but it cost me ~$6, & took forever. It's definitely worth it though, that article is epic & a must-read for anybody interested in algebra.

this is a great classic book:

Van Der Waerden, B.L.
Modern Algebra, Volume I
New York, NY: Frederick Ungar, 1953*Hard Cover. Very Good/No Jacket. Hardcover without jacket, previous owner's name, no underlining, no highlighting, solid binding.
Bookseller Inventory #4638

Price:*US$*14.95 (Convert Currency) Shipping:*Rates & Speed

Bookseller:*Bibliomancy, PO Box 513, Patuxent River, MD, U.S.A., 20670
(Search this Bookseller's Books) (More Bookseller Information)

Terms of Sale:*Check, money order, or PayPal (blbiomancy@tqci.net). Full refund on prompt return of merchandise if book is not as described. No dealer discounts. Please make checks or money orders payable to Anthony Houser.

Buyer pays $3.50 media mail for first book and $1 each additional book. Priority mail available. Email for rates. Orders over $100 shipped free (media mail rate).
Shipping Terms:*Shipping costs are based on books weighing 2.2 LB, or 1 KG. If your book order is heavy or oversized, we may contact you to let you know extra shipping is required.

Accepted Payment Methods:
- Visa
- MasterCard
- Cheque
- Money Order
- Cash
- Paypal

1. What is modern algebra and why is it important?

Modern algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures, such as groups, rings, and fields. It is important because it provides a framework for understanding and solving problems in many areas of mathematics, science, and engineering.

2. Which books are considered the best for learning modern algebra?

The best books on modern algebra for popular and undergraduate levels include "A Book of Abstract Algebra" by Charles C. Pinter, "Abstract Algebra" by David S. Dummit and Richard M. Foote, "Algebra" by Michael Artin, "Basic Algebra" by Nathan Jacobson, and "Algebra" by Serge Lang.

3. What topics are typically covered in a modern algebra book?

Modern algebra books typically cover topics such as groups, rings, fields, vector spaces, modules, and linear algebra. They may also include abstract concepts such as homomorphisms, isomorphisms, and quotient structures.

4. Are there any online resources available for learning modern algebra?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning modern algebra, including lectures, notes, and practice problems. Some popular websites for modern algebra include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and MathIsFun.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to understand modern algebra?

While a strong background in mathematics can be helpful, it is not necessary to understand modern algebra. Many modern algebra books start with the basics and build up to more advanced concepts, making it accessible to readers with various levels of mathematical knowledge.