Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modern Digital System Design

1. Jul 14, 2006 #1
    I will be taking Modern Digital System Design during the Fall 2006 semester at Texas Tech University. As I am an incoming freshman, I have nobody to consult about this class. If someone could please tell me what this class is about, what I should be expecting, and/or what I can do to prepare for it, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

I googled digital system design tutorial, and got lots of hits. Here's the hit list:

You can browse around some of those pages, and that will start to give you a feel for what you'll be studying. The class will most likely start out with basic gates, then boolean logic, then Karnaugh maps for designing boolean logic, then state machines for designing synchronous logic blocks. And then you'll probably study CISC and RISC computer architectures at the logic block level. You'll hopefully have a lab with the class, where you get to design and build up some of these things that you're learning about.

It's a pretty fun subject, and very practical. You'll use the concepts a lot in your EE work, in just about any one of the specialties. BTW, I'd recommend that you check out the book "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill. If you can read that book cover-to-cover before school starts, you'll have a great foundation in basic circuits. Have fun!
  4. Jul 15, 2006 #3
    Thank you very much berkeman. That is extremely helpful.
  5. Jul 24, 2006 #4
    it seems you are taking this course?

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_circuit, especially the subsection Structure of Digital Systems (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_circuit#Structure_of_digital_systems)

While that article has much more detail than you will probably cover, I imagine most of the "structure of digital systems" section will be covered and/or focused on.
  6. Aug 13, 2006 #5
    Thank you. That was very helpful. Sorry for the delayed reply.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?