What are some recommended textbooks for learning QFT?

In summary,The textbook recommended for a modern introduction to QFT is "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Maggiore.
accdd
Which textbook is recommended for a modern introduction to QFT?
What mathematical topics do I need to know to start studying QFT?
From which textbooks can I learn them?
I know calculus, linear algebra, mathematical methods of physics (the necessary topics for quantum mechanics).
I learned basic quantum mechanics and classical electrodynamics from Griffiths' textbooks and I am studying general relativity from the textbooks of Carroll and Schutz.

Likes Delta2 and atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
- Greiner and Reinhardt, Field Quantization
and
- Ryder, Quantum Field Theory
are excellent introductions, but not particularly modern.
An excellent modern introduction is
- Lancaster and Blundell, Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur

• Informative
Likes Hamiltonian, malawi_glenn, vanhees71 and 2 others
This text by Maggiore is pretty great.

Likes mattt, accdd, Demystifier and 1 other person
Zee - QFT in a nutshell is great

• Love
Likes Delta2 and Hamiltonian
accdd said:
Which textbook is recommended for a modern introduction to QFT?
Why "modern"? It hasn't changed in 60 years. What's wrong with Bjorken and Drell?

I would argue that Griffiths is marginal for preparation for learning to do QFT. It's probably enough to read about QFT. But that's not usually the goal of a textbook.

Last edited:
Likes dextercioby
Vanadium 50 said:
What's wrong with Bjorken and Drell?
No path integrals, renormalization group is poorly understood, ...

Likes atyy and vanhees71
Vanadium 50 said:
Why "modern"? It hasn't changed in 60 years. What's wrong with Bjorken and Drell?
The treatment of renormalization of QED is famously flawed, i.e., outdated. It lacks the entire treatment of non-Abelian gauge theories. I'd not recommend Bjorken and Drell (except the chapter about LSZ, which is very clearly written). The volume on "relativistic quantum mechanics" is entirely outdated. Nobody uses Dirac's hole-theoretical formulation anymore.

There were so many developments since Bjorken and Drell (BPHZ, non-Abelian gauge theories, path-integral formulation) that it's really better to refer to a more recent textbook. As a first book, I like

M. D. Schwartz, Quantum field theory and the Standard
Model, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, New York
(2014).

Vanadium 50 said:
I would argue that Griffiths is marginal for preparation for learning to do QFT. It's probably enough to read about QFT. But that's not usually the goal of a textbook.

Likes Son Goku, accdd, atyy and 2 others
vanhees71 said:
As a first book, I like

M. D. Schwartz, Quantum field theory and the Standard
Model, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, New York
(2014).

It is okay, I read it after I learned QFT so I can not say anything about that. However, I have the second printing and it was filled with errors (more than your average textbook I would say). Make sure to get the 6th printing or newer. There is an errata list on the authors webpage: https://schwartzqft.fas.harvard.edu/

To throw in another book in the list, I can recommend "Quantum field theory" by Mark Srednicki. It covers many topics, some in high detail but some in less detail so it is a quite "uneven" book. But the basic chapters and parts are solid. He even has a draft version etc on his homepage so one can get a feel for what the book is like http://web.physics.ucsb.edu/~mark/qft.html

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Likes accdd, atyy, Demystifier and 1 other person

1. What is QFT and how is it different from classical physics?

Quantum Field Theory (QFT) is a theoretical framework that combines quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of particles at a fundamental level. It is different from classical physics in that it takes into account the discrete and probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, as well as the effects of relativity on the behavior of particles.

2. What are the basic principles of QFT?

The basic principles of QFT include the concept of fields, which are mathematical representations of physical quantities that exist throughout space and time. These fields interact with particles, which are excitations of the fields. Another principle is the uncertainty principle, which states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be simultaneously known with certainty.

3. How is QFT used in modern physics?

QFT is used in many areas of modern physics, including particle physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology. It is used to describe the behavior of fundamental particles and their interactions, as well as the properties of materials at a microscopic level. QFT is also used to study the early universe and the behavior of matter in extreme conditions.

4. What are some applications of QFT?

Some applications of QFT include the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing and quantum communication, which rely on the principles of quantum mechanics. QFT is also used in the development of new materials and in understanding the behavior of matter in extreme environments, such as in black holes.

5. What are some challenges facing QFT?

One of the major challenges facing QFT is the unification of quantum mechanics and general relativity, which are two of the most successful theories in physics but are incompatible with each other. Another challenge is the development of a complete and consistent theory of quantum gravity, which would allow for a better understanding of the behavior of matter in extreme conditions.