Modern Mythologies: Worthwhile Academic Pursuit?

• Thread starter TheStatutoryApe
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the fascination with conspiracy theories, secret societies, claims of the paranormal, and other modern myths despite evidence disproving them. The discussion also touched on the study of "Modern Mythology" as a worthy academic pursuit, the persistence of myths in our culture, and the potential deductions future anthropologists may make about our current society based on these myths. Some participants argued that myths persist due to a human need for larger-than-life stories, while others suggested that it is a result of our innate visual templates and the way we process information. Overall, the conversation highlighted the enduring appeal and relevance of myths in modern society.
TheStatutoryApe
I think this subject goes well here though it may have a bit of an S&D flavour.

I've always been fascinated by conspiracy theories, secret societies, claims of the paranormal, mysticism, satanism, Alistair Crowley, Theosophy/H.P. Blavatsky, bigfoot, Nessie, ect. Even though the majority of it has been proven fabricated, embellished, or otherwise explainable and I believe the sceptics and debunkers I still wish to study these things anyway. They're just so intriguing to me.

Does anyone else think that the study of "Modern Mythology" is really a worthy academic pursuit on par with studying ancient mythology?
What myths of our time do you think will be the strongest and most persistent as part of our culture? And what would you suppose future anthropologists might deduce about our current culture (say approximately the last century) based on these myths?

Physics news on Phys.org
TheStatutoryApe said:
I think this subject goes well here though it may have a bit of an S&D flavour.

I've always been fascinated by conspiracy theories, secret societies, claims of the paranormal, mysticism, satanism, Alistair Crowley, Theosophy/H.P. Blavatsky, bigfoot, Nessie, ect. Even though the majority of it has been proven fabricated, embellished, or otherwise explainable and I believe the sceptics and debunkers I still wish to study these things anyway. They're just so intriguing to me.

Does anyone else think that the study of "Modern Mythology" is really a worthy academic pursuit on par with studying ancient mythology?
Certainly, and I would say even more so, since you can get a lot of important statistics on modern mythologies that are unavailable for ancient ones.
Therefore, it should be easier to formulate specific theories (say, what mythologies will naturally occur in clusters, and which are independent from each other), and empirical confirmation/refutation of your theories.

What myths of our time do you think will be the strongest and most persistent as part of our culture? And what would you suppose future anthropologists might deduce about our current culture (say approximately the last century) based on these myths?
Science nowadays is extremely specialized and totally incomprehensible for outsiders. It is the magic of our time.
Thus, I believe stories as to what may have happened in labs or has been done by scientists will crop up over and over again, to the frustration of
working scientists.

arildno said:
Certainly, and I would say even more so, since you can get a lot of important statistics on modern mythologies that are unavailable for ancient ones.
I would agree. Given the development of our 'modern' society, one has to ask, why do myths persist?

Probably because the education still fails to get to the masses. Advanced mathematics and science are taught to a small percentage of the overall population in any society.

And then there is the matter that some people simply lack the ability to comprehend or reason.

On the level of UNDERSTANDING, in particular with respect to maths and the natural sciences, the vast majority of individuals today are as lacking as their Stone Age forefathers. It could even be argued that the implicit understanding of natural laws you'd get by doing "stuff" and work outdoors has been lost to the modern population.

The amount of snippets of scientific knowledge that an average individual has, of course, increased compared to that of his Stone Age forefather.

Astronuc said:
I would agree. Given the development of our 'modern' society, one has to ask, why do myths persist?

Probably because the education still fails to get to the masses. Advanced mathematics and science are taught to a small percentage of the overall population in any society.

And then there is the matter that some people simply lack the ability to comprehend or reason.

I don't think it's a lack of education or reasoning ability that causes myths to persist, but rather that it is an inherint quality of human beings to create stories which represent characters or ideas which are larger than life. That's just my two cents.

Jaster Mereel said:
I don't think it's a lack of education or reasoning ability that causes myths to persist, but rather that it is an inherint quality of human beings to create stories which represent characters or ideas which are larger than life. That's just my two cents.
Note that there is quite a difference between making up stories, and believing in such stories.

While I can agree that it seems to be an inherent need for humans to make up stories in some forms, I do not think there exist any need to believe in any such stories.

It depends how you define "modern" i guess. Most of the things you listed are still believed by a number of people and thus, should not be taught in academic study.

However, any number of other myths that have died out, let's say at latest the beginning of the 20th century, would be of great interest to me as an academic pursuit.

I think people do have a need for such stories. They are searching for meaning, truth, and a connection to their roots. Mythologies offer all of those things. I'm not so sure much of modern cosmology and evolutionary theory won't be put off as some type of western mythology someday after the west is gone and some other civilization rediscovers the remains.

The Joseph Campbell point of view.

An idea is that humans have innate visual templates - it's easy to see a face or an animal in clouds, for example. None are there, but the human way of processing images creates them for us.

If you extend the idea of templates to scary or momentous happenings, the same thing obtains. Humans templatize the event, re-formulating it in a way that verbal images create humanly understandable ones. In other words, myths transform a story from simple reality into something transcendant.

IMO

jim mcnamara said:
The Joseph Campbell point of view.

An idea is that humans have innate visual templates - it's easy to see a face or an animal in clouds, for example. None are there, but the human way of processing images creates them for us.

If you extend the idea of templates to scary or momentous happenings, the same thing obtains. Humans templatize the event, re-formulating it in a way that verbal images create humanly understandable ones. In other words, myths transform a story from simple reality into something transcendant.

IMO
Joseph Campbell is great.

Humans have variable levels of ability of abstract thought, which comes with brain development. Some people never achieve that ability and are restricted to concrete belief with the necessity of tangibles in their experience and understanding, or otherwise simple concepts that are comfortable.

Early indoctrination has an advantage in terms of retention of belief. The stronger the emotional state when a memory is placed, it will be embedded and retained longer. The mind absorbs information and process and develops concepts at a greater rate when the individual is younger, and the rate decreases for many or most with age.

Brain and mental development are hugely variant in any population partly because individual physiologies are widely variant and experiences are widely variant. It makes for an interesting and challenging world - and unfortunately conflict.

An interesting thing about myths.

"a commonly believed but false idea"

Perhaps in some cases the myth lies in the use of the word "myth". Is the need to explain away anything not understood a function of the myth making process - the same mechanism that leads to myths? I think it is. I think we see at least two distinct types of personalities: Those who need to believe, and those who need to not believe.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
An interesting thing about myths.

"a commonly believed but false idea"

Perhaps in some cases the myth lies in the use of the word "myth". Is the need to explain away anything not understood a function of the myth making process - the same mechanism that leads to myths? I think it is. I think we see at least two distinct types of personalities: Those who need to believe, and those who need to not believe.
Hmm..And I thought Michael Jordan could really fly.:wink:

tehno said:
Hmm..And I thought Michael Jordan could really fly.
Ah, a true disbeliever - the first sign being the strawman nonsense.

Edit: This is usually followed by either a personal attack, or some subtle innuendo.

Last edited:

1. What are modern mythologies?

Modern mythologies refer to the stories and beliefs that are prevalent in modern society. These can include popular culture, media, technology, and societal norms that shape our understanding of the world and ourselves.

2. Why is the study of modern mythologies important?

The study of modern mythologies is important because it allows us to better understand the cultural and societal influences that shape our beliefs and behaviors. By examining these mythologies, we can gain insight into how societies function and evolve.

3. How do modern mythologies differ from traditional mythologies?

Modern mythologies differ from traditional mythologies in that they are often more fluid and constantly evolving. Traditional mythologies are rooted in ancient beliefs and tend to have a fixed structure, while modern mythologies are shaped by current events and cultural shifts.

4. What disciplines are involved in the study of modern mythologies?

The study of modern mythologies is interdisciplinary, involving fields such as sociology, anthropology, psychology, media studies, and cultural studies. Each of these disciplines offers unique perspectives on how modern mythologies are created and perpetuated.

5. How can the study of modern mythologies benefit society?

The study of modern mythologies can benefit society by promoting critical thinking and awareness of the stories and beliefs that shape our world. It can also help us challenge and deconstruct harmful or oppressive mythologies, leading to a more inclusive and informed society.

Back