Modern Optics Problems: Solving Junior Level Challenges

• Thread starter Shackleford
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optics
In summary, the conversation revolves around two problems from a JUNIOR-level class, one involving optics and the other involving a microscope. The conversation includes discussions on drawing diagrams, using Snell's law, and calculating the focal lengths of lenses. Different equations and methods are suggested, with the final answers being 22.5 cm and 12.9 cm.
Shackleford
These problems are from my JUNIOR-level class. Don't move this one. I'm very rusty in Optics. It's supposed to be taken after University Phys II, but I took that three years ago.

For A1, I'm not sure how to setup this problem. Do I need to take into account all three index of refractions, water, lens, and air?

For A2, it appears to be a straightforward thin-lens system. However, I'm not sure how to get the focal length of the other lens with the given information.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/Untitled-2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A1: I would start with the basics. Draw your "fish" so that its middle is coaxial with the tank lens. That ray would be a straight line from the fish's midsection to you r eye's center. Then use Snell's law to determine the path of two additional rays, one emanating from each end of the fish, refracting at each lens surface, and defining a new angle upon entering the air. You then (mentally) move the fish towards or away from you such that the angle the fish would have subtended in the absence of a lens equals your refracred angle. The resulting distance is your answer.

A2: there are standard formulae available for a microscope, e.g. at Wikipedia.

For A2, MT = fo/fe.

fo = focal length of the objective

fe = focal length of the eyepiece

So, fo = 80 cm.

rude man said:
A1: I would start with the basics. Draw your "fish" so that its middle is coaxial with the tank lens. That ray would be a straight line from the fish's midsection to you r eye's center. Then use Snell's law to determine the path of two additional rays, one emanating from each end of the fish, refracting at each lens surface, and defining a new angle upon entering the air. You then (mentally) move the fish towards or away from you such that the angle the fish would have subtended in the absence of a lens equals your refracred angle. The resulting distance is your answer.

A2: there are standard formulae available for a microscope, e.g. at Wikipedia.

How do I get any angles if I'm not given any angles? I have the radius of curvature to worry about, too. I think I have to use more than just Snell's Law.

Forget what i said. That way you'd have to pretty much rederive all of refractive optics. I also forgot to mention tat you have to simplify Snell's law to
n1*theta1 = n2*theta2 (paraxial rays).

OK, the following is my first stab at this & it's late, so I may be sending a later edit. Hopefully it'll jump-start you in any case.

Consider the first interface, betw. the water and the lens. The equation for that surface is
n1/p - n2/q' = (n2 - n1)/R ... from resnick & halliday chapt. 42
where p = distance of fish to lens = 20 cm. , q' = image distance. q' > 0 in this form even though the image is virtual, R = 30cm, n1 = 1.33, n2 = 1.5.
For second interface, betw. lens & air,
n2/q' + 1/q = (1-n2)/R where q = final image distance to lens.
Combined gives
n1/p - (n2 - n1)/R = (1 - n2)/R - 1/q
Solve for q. Then |q| is your answer since that is the distance the image is behind the lens (virtual image, erect).

Hecht has a similar equation:

nm/so1 + nl/si1 = (nl - nm)/R1

nl = 1.5
nm = 1.33
R1 = 30 cm
so1 = 20

That yields si1 = -24.6 cm. Of course, that is a virtual image inside the tank. Why do you say it's positive?

Because the answer calls for a magnitude. It asks for the apparent distance between you and the fish. A distance cannot be negative (unless maybe you have eyes in the back of your head? :-)

rude man said:
Because the answer calls for a magnitude. It asks for the apparent distance between you and the fish. A distance cannot be negative (unless maybe you have eyes in the back of your head? :-)

My point is don't I have to maintain the sign from the first interface to the second when calculating how the light is refracted through the lens? I certainly see why I would find the magnitude of the second image distance.

Also, your equation seems to have only two indices of refraction in it. It looks like my first or second equation (they're essentially the same form), but you need to combine them to get the overall lensing effect.

Did you solve q using my last equation?

rude man said:
Also, your equation seems to have only two indices of refraction in it. It looks like my first or second equation (they're essentially the same form), but you need to combine them to get the overall lensing effect.

Did you solve q using my last equation?

I'm breaking it up into two situations. I'm using si1 as so2 in the second equation.

Let me see what I end up with as si2.

My first equation would be the same as my second and your Hecht's if I hadn't changed q' to be > 0. It happened that resnick & halliday did it that way. I had enough trouble extending their derivation to the three-n case without deviating from their choice of signs.

In any case I think we're on the right track. Sorry I don't have the Hecht text, my optics knowledge is limited to introductory engineering-level physics (viz. resnick & halliday).

I calculated si2 as 22.5 cm.

rude man said:
In any case I think we're on the right track. Sorry I don't have the Hecht text, my optics knowledge is limited to introductory engineering-level physics (viz. resnick & halliday).

Well, this material is fresher on your mind than mine. Hopefully, one the pros can chime in here.

I just noticed that my q' = 24.7cm. But that is not the end of the story. That just determines the image distance of the first interface. You also have continue on thru the second interface.

rude man said:
I just noticed that my q' = 24.7cm. But that is not the end of the story. That just determines the image distance of the first interface. You also have continue on thru the second interface.

I did. I have -24.6 and 22.5.

OK, we agree on si1 = so2. Could you show me the equation you used to compute si2, which is the answer we're looking for?

What is "Modern Optics Problems: Solving Junior Level Challenges"?

"Modern Optics Problems: Solving Junior Level Challenges" is a collection of challenging problems related to optics and is designed for students at the junior level of their education. It covers a wide range of topics in modern optics and aims to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills in students.

Who is the target audience for "Modern Optics Problems: Solving Junior Level Challenges"?

The target audience for "Modern Optics Problems: Solving Junior Level Challenges" is students at the junior level of their education, typically in high school or early college years. It can also be useful for anyone interested in optics and looking for challenging problems to solve.

What are some examples of problems covered in "Modern Optics Problems: Solving Junior Level Challenges"?

Some examples of problems covered in "Modern Optics Problems: Solving Junior Level Challenges" include calculating the focal length of a lens, analyzing interference patterns, and designing a telescope. There are also more advanced problems that involve topics like quantum optics and nonlinear optics.

How can "Modern Optics Problems: Solving Junior Level Challenges" be used in the classroom?

"Modern Optics Problems: Solving Junior Level Challenges" can be used as a supplemental resource in the classroom to enhance students' understanding of optics concepts. It can be used as a homework assignment, in-class activity, or as a study guide for exams. It also provides teachers with ready-made, challenging problems to use in their lesson plans.

Can "Modern Optics Problems: Solving Junior Level Challenges" be used for self-study?

Yes, "Modern Optics Problems: Solving Junior Level Challenges" can be used for self-study by students who are interested in optics and want to improve their problem-solving skills. The book provides detailed solutions to all the problems, making it a valuable resource for self-study and self-assessment.