1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modern Physics-HELP 911!

1. Jan 31, 2006 #1
    :!!) :confused: My problem is that I am required to derive such formulae, which are:

MEASUREMENT of the LASER wavelength.

(1) 1 or lamda = 2* dm/m & (2) m=(n-1) ( 2*d/1)*(Dp/ Patm)

dm= distance of the movable mirror moved toward a beam splitter.

m= no. of fringes that cross a given reference point.

Dp = Pressure(final)- Pressure(initial)

d= distance of the vacuum air cell that was used upon experiment to generate fringes

Patm= atmospheric pressure=760atm.

I would appreciate any help deriving these formulae in step by step way.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

A monochromatic beam (1) entering from the left splits up at B, a half silvered mirror, into two beams (2) and (3) and is reflected back by two mirrors. Beam (2) continues onwards to O and on its return (3) is reflected downward also to O (part of both beams actually since the mirror is half silvered). At O the beams are combined optically resulting interference of the two beams. If the paths of the two beams , (2) and (3), are the same length constructive interference will result at and a bright fringe will be observed at O. If the movable mirror is moved [itex]\frac{\lambda}{4}[/itex] closer to the beam splitter this condition will change to destructive interference. If the mirror is moved by [itex]\frac{\lambda}{2}[/itex] one fringe change will be observed at O. This gives you your first equation.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?