1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modern Physics problem

1. Jan 22, 2005 #1
    Question: Show that the wave equation is in not covariant with respect to Gallilean transformations, given the function y=Asin(2pi(x/lambda - ft))

My main question is inorder to show the covariance of a law, should I apply the law on the primed variables and show that it is satisfied by applying a transformation, or should I make the substitution, apply the law, and then show it is satisfied.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Interesting problem.Reminds me of the days when "Lorentz covariance" was unknown to me.
    Do you know the form of a Galilei transformation??If so,write y(x,t) in the 'primed' system.

Daniel.

4. Jan 22, 2005 #3
    Thanks for your reply Daniel.

I have worked on this problem, but the result that I am getting is that the wave equation under the Gallilean transformation is satisfied. Please view key steps of my solution in the attachement.

Attached Files:

• 1.gif
      1.gif
      File size:
      2.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.gif
      2.gif
      File size:
      2.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.GIF
      3.GIF
      File size:
      2.5 KB
      Views:
  5. Jan 22, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm sorry,but i couldn't understand your formulas.
    To show that the wave function (and hence the wave equation) is not invariant under the Group of Galilean transformations (is not Galilei covariant) means to see whether the transformed wavefunction:

WVFCT--------->GT (WVFCT)'

satisfies or not the transformed wave equation:

WVEQ--------->GT (WVEQ)'

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?