1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modern Physics Textbook

1. May 21, 2008 #1
    Does anybody know of a good "Modern Physics" textbook, to be used for a sophomore-junior Physics course in Modern Physics?

I had once used Krane's "Elementary Modern Physics" (long time ago) but it was not a real textbook. I have seen he has a new edition of "Modern Physics", I don't know about it.

If someone knows of a good textbook, let me know.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2008 #2
    I'm guessing you mean some form of introductory quantum mechanics.

Uh, for an easy one try resnick hallidays. If you've got the math, no reason why you couldn't do the first half of Griffiths QM.
  4. May 22, 2008 #3

Modern Physics topics indeed tend to focus on nuclear, atomic, particle Physics, as well as astrophysics (some times).

I guess the Halliday Rescnick books cover these topics.

I also heard of a Young - Friedman book, which is supposed to be good for a modern Physics course (introductory level)

5. May 22, 2008 #4
    Halliday is more for first year stuff though. If your doing junior type stuff, even Griffiths is low.
  6. May 22, 2008 #5
    I'd suggest Eisberg & Resnick, Quantum Physics of Atoms, Molecules, Solids, Nuclei, and Particles. Supplement with a relativity text like Spacetime Physics or one of Rindler's books.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?