1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modern Physics

1. Feb 3, 2005 #1
    Has anyone ever used Modern Physics by Serway? Is it any good?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use either Halliday+Resnick or Feynman.U can can hardly find anything better...

Daniel.

4. Feb 4, 2005 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Halliday, Resnick, and Krane.

Integral and I are both buddies with Krane. You can't leave him out! :biggrin:

5. Feb 4, 2005 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As far Modern Physic goes, Krane has a very respectable intermediate level Modern Physics text all of his own. Amazon

YOWSER! what a price tag on the new one! I'll bet a used one reads the same!

I was given a signed copy of the 1st edition.. somewhere in my moves it escaped. Of all my books how did that one stray??? I don't know what happened to it.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  6. Feb 4, 2005 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh no!!! Are you sure that its gone? Couldn't it still be in a box somewhere? Thanks a lot. Now I feel bad. :grumpy:

I have a LQG solution from a person of note, on a napkin! Honest to goodness. She said that there is twenty years of work on that napkin. :rofl: I told her that's a little scary. If she's right I plan to frame it.

7. Feb 4, 2005 #6
    I have Modern Physics by Gasiorowicz, Fishbane and Bernstein..quite a good book.

8. Feb 4, 2005 #7
    Is Halliday Resnick and Krane the same as Halliday Resnick and Walker, only a different edition?

9. Mar 11, 2005 #8
    I double that doubt too..
    and how do you rate modern physcis by Arthur Beiser.

10. Mar 13, 2005 #9
    I recommend :
    Modern Physics,
    by Ralph Llewellyn, Paul A. Tipler

Tipler does a really good job at laying out the broad coursework the subject entails. I had Llewellyn as the prof for that class and I have to say he gave a mangificent performance, too bad his students were of low quality.:frown: I guess I have some bias!?!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?