Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modern Physics

1. Feb 3, 2005 #1
    Has anyone ever used Modern Physics by Serway? Is it any good?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use either Halliday+Resnick or Feynman.U can can hardly find anything better...

Daniel.

4. Feb 4, 2005 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Halliday, Resnick, and Krane.

Integral and I are both buddies with Krane. You can't leave him out! :biggrin:

5. Feb 4, 2005 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As far Modern Physic goes, Krane has a very respectable intermediate level Modern Physics text all of his own. Amazon

YOWSER! what a price tag on the new one! I'll bet a used one reads the same!

I was given a signed copy of the 1st edition.. somewhere in my moves it escaped. Of all my books how did that one stray??? I don't know what happened to it.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  6. Feb 4, 2005 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh no!!! Are you sure that its gone? Couldn't it still be in a box somewhere? Thanks a lot. Now I feel bad. :grumpy:

I have a LQG solution from a person of note, on a napkin! Honest to goodness. She said that there is twenty years of work on that napkin. :rofl: I told her that's a little scary. If she's right I plan to frame it.

7. Feb 4, 2005 #6
    I have Modern Physics by Gasiorowicz, Fishbane and Bernstein..quite a good book.

8. Feb 4, 2005 #7
    Is Halliday Resnick and Krane the same as Halliday Resnick and Walker, only a different edition?

9. Mar 11, 2005 #8
    I double that doubt too..
    and how do you rate modern physcis by Arthur Beiser.

10. Mar 13, 2005 #9
    I recommend :
    Modern Physics,
    by Ralph Llewellyn, Paul A. Tipler

Tipler does a really good job at laying out the broad coursework the subject entails. I had Llewellyn as the prof for that class and I have to say he gave a mangificent performance, too bad his students were of low quality.:frown: I guess I have some bias!?!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook