Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modern vs. Traditional Psychology

1. May 5, 2004 #1
    Hi,
    What do you guys think about the Psychology found in different mystical traditions versus the shrinks of today who base themselves on Jung, Freud etc ... ? :smile: Is one better than the other? Are they the same?

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2004 #2

ShawnD

Science Advisor

I think modern is better. The traditional method of electrocuting people who are retarded or crazy is just stupid.

Can you define traditional psychology a bit better? It's not very clear what you mean.

4. May 5, 2004 #3

jimmy p

Gold Member

LOL though the traditional method has it up points now you mention it Shawn...may have to experiment some traditional psychological method on my friends MUHAHAHAHA!!!

I'm not sure about this though, having never needed therapy, but it does seem like a long winded process of talking and stuff.... besides who would want to listen to a guy who takes advice from a dude that wanted to sleep with his mum??

5. May 5, 2004 #4
    Lol. Yeah, I'm just thinking about it theoretically. In the UK there are like hardly any shrinks. As for the definition - I done a quick search on Google and found
    http://www.wynja.com/personality/buddhistpsych.html
    which is about the Buddhist psychology compared to modern psychology. If you read it maybe it'd be helpful. I'm finding it hard to define - since I don't know how to define the word 'psychology' itself.

6. May 5, 2004 #5

ShawnD

Science Advisor

I like Buddhists, they always have nice insight.

As Jimmy P mentioned, Freud thought everybody wants to kill their father and sleep with their mother. How fugged is that?

7. May 5, 2004 #6
    I often thought how people ever accepted his analysis...seriously-sick....I'm sure he had own problems

Was it Freud who said he didn't know "what women Want"?

8. May 5, 2004 #7

jimmy p

Gold Member

well they definitely dont want their own sons....not in THAT way anyway....

9. May 5, 2004 #8

ShawnD

Science Advisor

There's a good chance he said that since every other man in the history of the world has said the exact same thing.

10. May 5, 2004 #9
    again...sick..sick..sick :frown:

11. May 5, 2004 #10
    :biggrin: Yeah

Yet, he thinks he knows what men want ...

12. May 5, 2004 #11

jimmy p

Gold Member

OK, i'm not gonna say it but you KNOW what I'm thinking :biggrin:

13. May 5, 2004 #12

ShawnD

Science Advisor

I'll be the second to say that I do know what women want. The first to say it was some guy on some TV show or something.
    "women want everything from one man; men want one thing from every woman"

As true today as it was when it was written :biggrin:

14. May 5, 2004 #13
    True dat...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?