1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modern Wave Optics Question

1. Jan 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given two counter propagating monochromatic electromagnetic plane waves with equal strength and frequency but orthoganal polarization, (one is y polarized, the other is z polarized). More specifically, the z polarized wave is traveling in the positive x direction and the y polarized wave is traveling in the negative x direction. show that the polarization of the electric field changes along the x axis.

2. Relevant equations
    assume that A=1, ω=2π, k = 2π and let the speed of light c=1

The electric Field is given by the vector E= A <0,sin(-kx-wt),sin(kx-wt)>

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not really sure what the question is asking? Do i take derivatives? the curl of the electric field vector? Do i find a time derivative for the Field vector? should I just animate a plot of the electric field strenght? a 3d plot of the field intensity?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2012 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just write the equations for planar E waves going in the + and - directions, marking the +x moving wave E field with unit vector z and the -x moving E field with unit vector y.
    Let t=0 (or any other arbitrary value) and come up with a vector equation of the compound beam, and show the resultant E vector to be changing in the y-z plane with x. No fancy math required.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook