How is the Displacement Current Used to Resolve Issues with Ampere's Law?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of displacement current to address problems with the application of Ampere's Law. The modified Ampere's Law is introduced and its connection to the continuity equation is explained. The conversation also mentions a pass exam paper being revised and the importance of understanding the concept for a radio antenna. Links to relevant Wikipedia pages are shared as additional resources.
hhh79bigo
Hi I was wondering if you can help me.

How is the concept of the displacement current used to resolve the ploblems with the application of Ampere's law.

I know that the modified ampere's law is

curl(B)=Mew(0)(jc+jd)

I just know how the displacement current jd is used to solve the ploblems with amperes law in the continuity equation

If anyone at all help me I would be greatful. It is a pass exam paper that I am revising, and is worth 6 marks.

thanks in advance

hhh79bigo

Physics news on Phys.org
Ampere's Law is only valid for "static" currents.
If there's a time-dependance (charge build-up),
then its dE/dt also is surrounded by curling B.

Is this a "practical" application whee Ampere fails?

In a radio antenna, current up a wire accumulates
Q at the end; B is stronger at top due to dE/dt.

by the way...

it's "mu," not "mew."

mu: the greek letter.

mew: the sound a cat makes.

:biggrin:

To be honest with you that isn't much help at all really. Why post something if you don't know the answer?

A cat makes a meow sound by the way!

hhh79bigo said:
To be honest with you that isn't much help at all really. Why post something if you don't know the answer?

A cat makes a meow sound by the way!

alright, then.

mew: the 151st pokemon, from the original series. :tongue:

What is Modified Ampere's Law?

Modified Ampere's Law is an extension of the original Ampere's Law, which describes the relationship between a magnetic field and the electric current that produces it. The modification takes into account the displacement current, which is the change in electric flux through a surface over time.

Why was Modified Ampere's Law developed?

Modified Ampere's Law was developed to account for situations where the electric current is changing over time, such as in the presence of changing electric fields. The original Ampere's Law did not take into account the displacement current, and thus was incomplete in these situations.

How is Modified Ampere's Law different from the original Ampere's Law?

The main difference between Modified Ampere's Law and the original Ampere's Law is the inclusion of the displacement current term. This term takes into account the changing electric fields and allows for a more accurate calculation of the magnetic field produced by an electric current.

What are some applications of Modified Ampere's Law?

Modified Ampere's Law has numerous applications in electromagnetism and electronics. It is used in the design of various devices, such as transformers, motors, and generators. It is also essential in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves and their propagation through space.

How is Modified Ampere's Law used in practical experiments and calculations?

Modified Ampere's Law is often used in conjunction with other equations in electromagnetism, such as Gauss's Law and Faraday's Law, to solve complex problems involving electric and magnetic fields. It is also used in practical experiments to measure and verify the relationship between electric and magnetic fields.