1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modified Bohr Atom Radii

1. Apr 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Instead of electrons in the hydrogen atom experiencing the Coulomb potential, lets say they experience a potential in the form of [tex]V(r) = V_0(\frac{r}{R})^k[/tex], where [tex]V_0 > 0,\: R > 0, \:k > 0[/tex].

With this information find an equation for the radii of the Bohr orbit with quantum number n.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]V(r) = V_0(\frac{r}{R})^k[/tex]

[tex] L = mvr = n\hbar[/tex]

[tex]F_{Coulomb} = F_{centripetal}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Under normal circumstances the equation for radii would be easy enough to derive from the fact that [tex]F_{Coulomb} = F_{centripetal}[/tex] for the electrons. So, I attempted to find the derivative of the electron's potential since it should be equal to the negative of Coulomb force. So,
    [tex]F_{Coulomb} = -\frac{dV(r)}{dr} = -\frac{k V_0 (\frac{r}{R})^{(k-1)}}{R}[/tex].
    Thus,
    [tex]-\frac{k V_0 (\frac{r}{R})^{(k-1)}}{R} = \frac{mv^2}{r}[/tex].

And since angular momentum [tex]L = mvr = n\hbar[/tex],
    [tex]\frac{n^2\hbar^2}{mr^2} = -\frac{2 k V_0 (\frac{r}{R})^{(k-1)}}{R}[/tex]

But at this point I don't see how I can get r on one side of the equation, so perhaps I approached the problem incorrectly or made a mistake somewhere. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Okay, so my algebra seemed to be off and going back through I think I've come up with a viable answer.

Given as I said before,
    [tex]\frac{k V_0 (\frac{r}{R})^{(k-1)}}{R} = \frac{mv^2}{r}[/tex].

[tex]\frac{k V_0 (\frac{r}{R})^{(k-1)}}{R} = \frac{n^2 \hbar^2}{m r^3}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{r^3 k V_0 (\frac{r}{R})^{(k-1)}}{R} = \frac{n^2 \hbar^2}{m}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{r^{(2 + k)} k V_0}{R^k} = \frac{n^2 \hbar^2}{m}[/tex]

[tex]r^{2 + k} = \frac{n^2 \hbar^2 R^k}{m k V_0}[/tex]

[tex]r_n = \left(\frac{n^2 \hbar^2 R^k}{m k V_0}\right)^{(\frac{1}{2 + k})}[/tex]

So, now I think this is the right answer. If anyone thinks differently, please correct me.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?