How Do Modified Potentials Affect Bohr Orbit Radii?

• Thread starter sritter27
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atom Bohr
In summary, the conversation was about finding an equation for the radii of the Bohr orbit with quantum number n, using the information that the electrons in the hydrogen atom experience a potential in the form of V(r) = V_0(\frac{r}{R})^k. The individual discussed their attempt at a solution, including finding the derivative of the electron's potential and using the equations for Coulomb force and centripetal force. They eventually arrived at an equation for the radius of the Bohr orbit with quantum number n, and asked for confirmation on the correctness of their solution.
sritter27

Homework Statement

Instead of electrons in the hydrogen atom experiencing the Coulomb potential, let's say they experience a potential in the form of [tex]V(r) = V_0(\frac{r}{R})^k[/tex], where [tex]V_0 > 0,\: R > 0, \:k > 0[/tex].

With this information find an equation for the radii of the Bohr orbit with quantum number n.

Homework Equations

[tex]V(r) = V_0(\frac{r}{R})^k[/tex]

[tex] L = mvr = n\hbar[/tex]

[tex]F_{Coulomb} = F_{centripetal}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Under normal circumstances the equation for radii would be easy enough to derive from the fact that [tex]F_{Coulomb} = F_{centripetal}[/tex] for the electrons. So, I attempted to find the derivative of the electron's potential since it should be equal to the negative of Coulomb force. So,
[tex]F_{Coulomb} = -\frac{dV(r)}{dr} = -\frac{k V_0 (\frac{r}{R})^{(k-1)}}{R}[/tex].
Thus,
[tex]-\frac{k V_0 (\frac{r}{R})^{(k-1)}}{R} = \frac{mv^2}{r}[/tex].

And since angular momentum [tex]L = mvr = n\hbar[/tex],
[tex]\frac{n^2\hbar^2}{mr^2} = -\frac{2 k V_0 (\frac{r}{R})^{(k-1)}}{R}[/tex]

But at this point I don't see how I can get r on one side of the equation, so perhaps I approached the problem incorrectly or made a mistake somewhere. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Okay, so my algebra seemed to be off and going back through I think I've come up with a viable answer.

Given as I said before,
[tex]\frac{k V_0 (\frac{r}{R})^{(k-1)}}{R} = \frac{mv^2}{r}[/tex].

[tex]\frac{k V_0 (\frac{r}{R})^{(k-1)}}{R} = \frac{n^2 \hbar^2}{m r^3}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{r^3 k V_0 (\frac{r}{R})^{(k-1)}}{R} = \frac{n^2 \hbar^2}{m}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{r^{(2 + k)} k V_0}{R^k} = \frac{n^2 \hbar^2}{m}[/tex]

[tex]r^{2 + k} = \frac{n^2 \hbar^2 R^k}{m k V_0}[/tex]

[tex]r_n = \left(\frac{n^2 \hbar^2 R^k}{m k V_0}\right)^{(\frac{1}{2 + k})}[/tex]

So, now I think this is the right answer. If anyone thinks differently, please correct me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for your time.

Your approach seems correct, and your final equation for the radius of the Bohr orbit with quantum number n looks correct as well. Good job!

1. What is a modified Bohr atom radius?

A modified Bohr atom radius is a theoretical concept that describes the distance between the nucleus and the outermost electron in an atom. It takes into account the effects of electron-electron repulsion, which was not considered in the original Bohr model of the atom.

2. How is the modified Bohr atom radius calculated?

The modified Bohr atom radius is calculated using the Rydberg formula, which takes into account the principal quantum number, the nuclear charge, and the screening constant. This formula is based on the quantum mechanical model of the atom.

3. How does the modified Bohr atom radius differ from the Bohr radius?

The Bohr radius only considers the distance between the nucleus and the outermost electron in a hydrogen atom, while the modified Bohr atom radius takes into account the repulsive forces between electrons in multi-electron atoms. This means that the modified Bohr atom radius is larger than the Bohr radius.

4. What is the significance of the modified Bohr atom radius?

The modified Bohr atom radius is important in understanding the energy levels and electron configurations of multi-electron atoms. It also helps to explain the phenomenon of atomic size and how it varies across the periodic table.

5. Can the modified Bohr atom radius be measured experimentally?

No, the modified Bohr atom radius is a theoretical concept and cannot be directly measured. However, it can be calculated using the Rydberg formula and compared to experimental data to validate the model.