Cosmological Expansion & Uniqueness of Gravity: Multamaki and Vilja

In summary, the paper discusses modified theories of gravity as alternatives to the cosmological concordance model. It specifically focuses on $f(R)$ gravity models and shows that they can have the same expansion history as the standard Einstein-Hilbert action. The paper also discusses the possibility of constructing equivalent scalar-tensor theories within this framework.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0506692

Title: Cosmological expansion and the uniqueness of gravitational action
Authors: T. Multamaki, I. Vilja
Comments: 4 pages

Modified theories of gravity have recently been studied by several authors as possibly viable alternatives to the cosmological concordance model. Such theories attempt to explain the accelerating expansion of the universe by changing the theory of gravity, instead of introducing dark energy. In particular, a class of models based on higher order curvature invariants, so-called $f(R)$ gravity models, has drawn attention. In this letter we show that within this framework, the expansion history of the universe does not uniquely determine the form of the gravitational action and it can be radically different from the standard Einstein-Hilbert action. We demonstrate that for any barotropic fluid, there always exists a class of $f(R)$ models that will have exactly the same expansion history as that arising from the Einstein-Hilbert action. We explicitly show how one can extend the Einstein-Hilbert action by constructing a $f(R)$ theory that is equivalent on the classical level. Due to the classical equivalence between $f(R)$ theories and Einstein-Hilbert gravity with an extra scalar field, one can also hence construct equivalent scalar-tensor theories with standard expansion.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Any such theory would have to be testable in the solar system as well as explain: the distant SN Ia observations, the times of structure and object formation in the early universe and the spatial flatness (actually conformal flatness) interpreted from the CMB WMAP data.

But then if it can do all this it would be preferable to the extra 'epicycle' that is DE.

Garth

From the paper "We demonstrate that for any barotropic fluid, there always exists a class of $f(R)$ models that will have exactly the same expansion history as that arising from the Einstein-Hilbert action." While true, that assertion is meaningless.

I wouldn't say it is meaningless. One of the arguments for GR is that other approaches fail to explain the expansion history of the universe. This paper is an existence proof, showing that not just one other, but an entire class of other gravitational functions can produce the same result at the cosmological level. This then allows anyone using that class of functions as a basis to know that it will be cosmologically identical to GR.

It is a bit like a paper which shows that any Lagrangian based theory will conform to a host of common conservation laws, or that any tensor based theory will, as a matter of form, be invariant in the face of a coordinate system change.

But I think that is an appeal to extra dimensions. And I object. Once you invoke extra dimensions, the whole thing seems to spiral out of control. I don't necessarily object to extra dimensions, but I insist they converge at the 3 + 1 level.

Chronos said:
But I think that is an appeal to extra dimensions. And I object. Once you invoke extra dimensions, the whole thing seems to spiral out of control. I don't necessarily object to extra dimensions, but I insist they converge at the 3 + 1 level.

I like your ideals Chronos, all this extra dimension and multiverse speculation
seems like desperation to me.

Embeding and projecting

Chronos said:
I don't necessarily object to extra dimensions, but I insist they converge at the 3 + 1 level.

I don't object to Hilbertspaces with an infinite number of dimensions, as long as it is possible to project all physical stuff to euclidian space-time.

1. What is cosmological expansion and how does it relate to the uniqueness of gravity?

Cosmological expansion is the theory that the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate. This expansion is driven by a phenomenon known as dark energy, which is thought to make up about 70% of the universe. The uniqueness of gravity relates to the fact that it is the only force in the universe that can cause objects to attract each other over large distances, thus contributing to the overall expansion of the universe.

2. How did Multamaki and Vilja contribute to our understanding of cosmological expansion and gravity?

Multamaki and Vilja conducted research and proposed a theory that suggests that the acceleration of the universe's expansion may not be due to dark energy, but rather a modification of the laws of gravity on a large scale. This theory, known as the Multamaki-Vilja model, offers an alternative explanation for the observed expansion of the universe.

3. How does the Multamaki-Vilja model differ from other theories of cosmological expansion?

The Multamaki-Vilja model differs from other theories of cosmological expansion in that it suggests a modification of the laws of gravity rather than the existence of dark energy. This modification would only be significant on a large scale, and on smaller scales, the laws of gravity would remain unchanged, thus explaining why we do not observe this modification in our everyday lives.

4. What evidence supports the Multamaki-Vilja model?

Some evidence that supports the Multamaki-Vilja model includes observations of galaxies and their distribution in the universe. The model is able to explain the observed distribution of galaxies without the need for dark energy. Additionally, the model is consistent with the observed cosmic microwave background radiation, which is leftover radiation from the early universe.

5. What are the potential implications of the Multamaki-Vilja model for our understanding of the universe?

If the Multamaki-Vilja model is confirmed, it would challenge our current understanding of the universe and the role of dark energy in its expansion. It could also lead to a better understanding of gravity and potentially open up new avenues for research in this field. However, more evidence and research is needed to fully support this model and its implications.