1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modified Heat Equation

1. Aug 8, 2007 #1
    Hi folks,

Given the following heat equation

[tex]u_t = u_{xx} + t - x^2,[/tex]

I'd like to find all solutions [tex]u(x,t)\in C^2(\mathbb{R}^2)[/tex] such that the quotient

[tex]|u(x,t)| / (|x|^5 + |t|^5)[/tex]

goes to zero as the sum [tex]|x| + |t|[/tex] goes to infinity.

I know how to do the same problem with the usual heat equation [tex]u_t = u_{xx}[/tex], but I'm not entirely sure how to deal with this extra [tex]t - x^2[/tex] term. I suspect I can still start by taking the Fourier transform (in x) of each side to get something like:

[tex]\partial_t \hat{u}(\xi,t) = \widehat{\partial_t u}(\xi, t) = -|\xi|^2 \hat{u}(\xi,t) + \widehat{t-x^2}(\xi) = -|\xi|^2\hat{u}(\xi, t) + t\delta(\xi) - \delta^{\prime\prime}(\xi),[/tex]

which gives me an ODE in t that is easy enough to solve. The issue is that I think this method only gives me smooth (by which I mean infinitely differentiable) solutions. Are there other [tex]C^2[/tex] solutions that I am missing with this approach?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2007 #2
    This solves "nicely" by a modified techinique using Seperation of Variables. If the boundary value problem is on a string of finite length I can post all the steps where are required to solve this analytically.

4. Aug 9, 2007 #3
    Your equation is linear, so, as long as you have nice boundary conditions, the solution is unique. Check your notes.

5. Aug 9, 2007 #4
    Why is it linear? Perhaps you mean to say it is quasi-linear. It cannot be linear for if u_1 and u_2 are solutions does not mean that u_1 + u_2 are solutions.

@bob321. I will post complete steps, but I am unable to since you do not provide a boundary and initial value problems.

6. Aug 9, 2007 #5
    The problem is over the entire real line so there are no boundary conditions, and the initial condition [tex]u(x,0)[\tex] can be an arbitrary [tex]C^2[\tex] function. I've actually since worked out the general solution using the Fourier transform, as I started to do in my original post.

Thanks.

7. Aug 10, 2007 #6
    It is linear. If [itex]L=u_t+u_{xx},[/itex] then [itex]L[u_1+u_2]=L[u_1]+L[u_2][/itex]. What is not is homogeneous. A PDE is said to be quasilinear when is linear in the higher derivative term, but not necesarily in the terms of lower order.

That is a boundary condition. You want your solutions to converge at [itex]\pm \infty[/itex], so [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \pm \infty}u(x,t)=0[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?