Can Modified Newtonian Dynamics Explain Dark Matter?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Modified Newtonian Dynamics (MOND) as an alternative to Dark Matter, and the differing opinions on its validity. The possibility of finding Dark Matter particles is also mentioned, with some experts suggesting that if they are not found within the next 2-3 years, it may challenge current theories. However, this is a topic that is beyond the speaker's knowledge level.
Elbraido
Hello Everbody
In Sci Shows newest video they take about alternates to Dark Matter and one of these is Modified Newtonian dynamicse. The guy states that there were two teams one proved that it existed and the other did the the opposite.
My question is why they can't and didn't compare there experiments?. There must be a difference in their experiments.
Thanks for any answers
Here is the Link

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I haven't watched the video but here's my take on the issue: MOND is generally not in favor, as there are too many things it doesn't handle, but it has not been totally discredited. Dark Matter is more in favor but it too is not a sure thing. Dark matter particles have never been observed, but not for lack of trying.

phinds said:
I haven't watched the video but here's my take on the issue: MOND is generally not in favor, as there are too many things it doesn't handle, but it has not been totally discredited. Dark Matter is more in favor but it too is not a sure thing. Dark matter particles have never been observed, but not for lack of trying.
how many years do you believe until we might find them? I heard Sean Carrol talking to Joe Rogan saying if we don't find it within the next 2-3 years we might have to question our theories? Is that actually the case?

AlenKovac said:
how many years do you believe until we might find them? I heard Sean Carrol talking to Joe Rogan saying if we don't find it within the next 2-3 years we might have to question our theories? Is that actually the case?
That's all beyond my knowledge

1. What is Modified Newtonian Dynamics (MOND)?

Modified Newtonian Dynamics (MOND) is a theory that suggests a modification to Newton's laws of gravity in order to explain the observed rotation curves of galaxies without the need for dark matter. It proposes that gravitational forces become stronger at large distances, rather than following the inverse square law as predicted by Newton's laws.

2. How does MOND differ from Newton's laws of gravity?

MOND differs from Newton's laws of gravity in that it proposes a modification to the law of gravity at large distances, while Newton's laws follow the inverse square law at all distances. Additionally, MOND suggests that gravity is only dependent on the total mass of an object, rather than also being affected by the distribution of mass within the object.

3. What evidence supports MOND?

Some evidence supporting MOND includes the observed rotation curves of galaxies, which do not match the predictions of Newton's laws without the addition of dark matter. Additionally, MOND has been able to successfully predict the observed velocities of stars in the outer regions of galaxies, without the need for dark matter.

4. How does MOND explain the observed rotation curves of galaxies?

MOND explains the observed rotation curves of galaxies by proposing that gravitational forces become stronger at large distances, which allows for the observed high velocities of stars at the outer edges of galaxies. This modification to Newton's laws also eliminates the need for dark matter to explain the observed rotation curves.

5. What are some criticisms of MOND?

Some criticisms of MOND include the fact that it has not been able to fully explain all observed phenomena, such as the gravitational lensing of light. Additionally, MOND has not yet been able to be incorporated into a larger, more comprehensive theory of gravity, such as Einstein's theory of general relativity.