Modular Algorithm for Solving Equations with Unknowns Modulo 100

• Thread starter booney1983
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algorithm
In summary, the conversation discussed using the Chinese remainder theorem to find values for b and c that satisfy a system of congruence equations involving a, b, and c. It was suggested that the values of b and c can be determined using the CRT, and a possible solution was provided.
booney1983
how can i solve this problem?

[ x1= a (mod 100) , a= 20 (mod 37) ]

[ x2= b (mod 100) , b= 15 (mod 37) ]

[ x3= c (mod 100) , c= 18 (mod 37) ]

must be ; x2= a.k + y (mod100)

and

x3= b.k + y (mod100)

i need find b and c.. thank you best regards..

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks to me like "Chinese remainder theorem". In any case, it is certainly not "Calculus and Analysis. I am moving this to the number theory forum.

booney1983 said:
must be ; x2= a.k + y (mod100)

and

x3= b.k + y (mod100)

Are these the same y and k, the same y, but some arbitrary k, or what?

yes same y and k

booney1983: yes same y and k

That's not especially helpful since no effort to define them was given. As for y I see that you use it in the two final equations. So I am wondering if it could not simply be dropped and is meaningless?

What is b.k? I have guessed it means b times k. The symbol "*" is sometimes used for multiplication. Maybe some countries think differently.

Last edited:
Here's how I'm interpreting the question:

Find b and c such that the following equations are satisfied in terms of the other variables.
1. [tex]x_1\equiv a\pmod{100}[/tex]
2. [tex]a\equiv20\pmod{37}[/tex]
3. [tex]x_2\equiv b\pmod{100}[/tex]
4. [tex]b\equiv15\pmod{37}[/tex]
5. [tex]x_3\equiv c\pmod{100}[/tex]
6. [tex]c\equiv18\pmod{37}[/tex]
7. [tex]x_2\equiv a\cdot k+y\pmod{100}[/tex]
8. [tex]x_3\equiv b\cdot k+y\pmod{100}[/tex]It's trivial to determine the values of b and c mod 100: [itex]b\equiv ak+y[/itex], [itex]c\equiv bk+y[/itex]. The CRT could then be used to determine b and c mod 3700.

Last edited:
One simple solution is X1=X2=X3=18 Mod 100. a=2018, b=718, c=18. k=1, y=0. which renders the last two equations redundant, while 5 and 6 are taken care of since X3=c.

Last edited:

1. What is a modular algorithm?

A modular algorithm is a step-by-step procedure for solving a problem or completing a task, in which each step is broken down into smaller, more manageable modules or subroutines. These modules can be reused in different parts of the algorithm or in different algorithms altogether, making the overall process more efficient and easier to understand.

2. Why are modular algorithms important?

Modular algorithms are important because they help to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts. This makes it easier to understand and solve the problem, and also allows for greater flexibility and reusability in the overall algorithm design.

3. How do you design a modular algorithm?

The first step in designing a modular algorithm is to identify the problem or task that needs to be solved. Next, break down the problem into smaller, more specific tasks or modules. Each module should have a specific purpose and should be self-contained, meaning it can be used independently from the other modules. Finally, organize the modules in a logical sequence to create the overall algorithm.

4. What are the benefits of using a modular algorithm?

There are several benefits to using a modular algorithm, including improved efficiency, easier troubleshooting and debugging, and increased flexibility and reusability. By breaking down a problem into smaller modules, it becomes easier to identify and fix errors, and the modular design allows for the reuse of modules in other algorithms, saving time and effort in the long run.

5. Can modular algorithms be used in any type of programming language?

Yes, modular algorithms can be used in any programming language. The concept of breaking down a problem into smaller, more manageable parts is applicable to all programming languages, and the use of subroutines or functions to create modules is a common feature in most programming languages.