Modular Arithmetic: Divisibility Statements with Natural Numbers

• Thread starter trap101
  • Start date
In summary, using modular arithmetic, it is possible to establish the divisibility statement 7 | 52n + 3 (25n - 2) for n in N (Natural Numbers) without the use of a mod table. This is done by reducing the expression to 4n (mod 7) and simplifying it to (3)(42) (mod 7) by finding the inverse of 2 (mod 7) and using the distributive property. Ultimately, this proves the original statement.
trap101
For n in N (Natural Numbers), use modular arithemetic to establish each of the following divisibility statements:

a) 7 | 52n + 3 (25n - 2)

Attempt: Well I've set up a mod 7 table and was figuring out the values from n = 0,...6 for the two individual expressions, then I was going to combine them. But I of course hit a rough patch when I got to 25n - 2. Since I'm in the Natural numbers, fractions do not exist, so how do I treat 25n - 2 when n = 0 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi trap101! :smile:
trap101 said:
For n in N (Natural Numbers) …

a) 7 | 52n + 3 (25n - 2)

Since I'm in the Natural numbers, fractions do not exist, so how do I treat 25n - 2 when n = 0 ?

some people include 0 in the natural numbers, and some don't

clearly, this question doesn't

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_numbers#Notation for a discussion :wink:

ahh this is true. I gather you would deduce this from the fact that I would have been stuck with a fraction if n = 0 did exist? So if n = 0 was included in the natural numbers for this question, would the question even be answerable?

7 is a prime number, so Z7 is a finite field, and each non-zero element thus has a multiplicative inverse. You would treat 2-2 as 4 * 4 mod 7 in this case.

Last edited:
ok thanks

I had another quick question pertaining to this sort of question. The question asked me to establish that the above expression is true. Is the only way I can establish its truth by using a mod table or is there another method?

Last edited:
trap101 said:
For n in N (Natural Numbers), use modular arithemetic to establish each of the following divisibility statements:

a) 7 | 52n + 3 (25n - 2)

Attempt: Well I've set up a mod 7 table and was figuring out the values from n = 0,...6 for the two individual expressions, then I was going to combine them. But I of course hit a rough patch when I got to 25n - 2. Since I'm in the Natural numbers, fractions do not exist, so how do I treat 25n - 2 when n = 0 ?

you shouldn't have to use a table.

52n = (52)n, whether mod 7 or not.

but mod 7, we can reduce 52 = 25 to 4. that is:

52n = 4n (mod 7).

now 3(25n-2) = 3(25)n(2-2).

reduce everything on the right you can mod 7,

you will have (3)(somethingn)(42) (mod 7).

if you did everything right, you should be able to add the terms and it will be obvious what you have is equal to 0 mod 7, thus proving the orginial statement.

Deveno said:
you shouldn't have to use a table.

52n = (52)n, whether mod 7 or not.

but mod 7, we can reduce 52 = 25 to 4. that is:

52n = 4n (mod 7).

now 3(25n-2) = 3(25)n(2-2).

reduce everything on the right you can mod 7,

you will have (3)(somethingn)(42) (mod 7).

if you did everything right, you should be able to add the terms and it will be obvious what you have is equal to 0 mod 7, thus proving the orginial statement.

Thanks. I got an answer, but my approach was a long winded table. Now I was trying to reduce how you suggested and I got (3)(4n 42 (mod 7).

I made bold the 42 because I don't see where you got that from, as well what happened to the 2-2 portion?

Now adding up these congruences I got 4n(1 + 19)...should that have been 4n(1+20), to get 21 and thus proving divisibility by 7?

trap101 said:
Thanks. I got an answer, but my approach was a long winded table. Now I was trying to reduce how you suggested and I got (3)(4n 42 (mod 7).

I made bold the 42 because I don't see where you got that from, as well what happened to the 2-2 portion?

Now adding up these congruences I got 4n(1 + 19)...should that have been 4n(1+20), to get 21 and thus proving divisibility by 7?

mod 7, we have:

(2)(4) = 8 = 1 (mod 7).

therefore 2-1 = 4

4 is the ONLY number x in {1,2,3,4,5,6} with this property: 2x = 1 (mod 7), which you may check if you like. it therefore makes sense to speak of 4 as THE inverse for 2 (mod 7).

so if 2-1 = 4 (mod 7)

then 2-2 = (2-1)2 = 42 (mod 7).

it may come as no surprise that we can "multiply mod n". what IS no doubt surprising, is sometimes, we can also "divide mod n".

in fact, if n is prime (as 7 so conveniently happens to be), we can divide by any non-zero residue class. that is, the integers modulo p (where p is prime) form a FIELD.

mod 7 we have:

1-1 = 1
2-1 = 4
3-1 = 5
4-1 = 2
5-1 = 3
6-1 = 6.

now, to finish "my approach" what is 16 (mod 7), and therefore, what is (3)(42) (mod 7)?

1. What is modular arithmetic?

Modular arithmetic is a branch of mathematics that deals with operations on integers, where the result of an operation is always within a fixed range. This range is called a modulus, and the operations are performed on numbers within this modulus.

2. How is modular arithmetic used in real life?

Modular arithmetic has many real-life applications, such as in computer science, cryptography, and game theory. It is used in computer algorithms for tasks like generating random numbers, error correction, and data encryption. It is also used in game theory to determine strategies and outcomes in games with a finite number of moves.

3. What is the difference between modular arithmetic and regular arithmetic?

The main difference between modular arithmetic and regular arithmetic is that the result of an operation in modular arithmetic is always within a fixed range, whereas in regular arithmetic, the result can be any number. For example, in regular arithmetic, 7+5=12, but in modular arithmetic with a modulus of 10, 7+5=2.

4. What is the significance of the modulus in modular arithmetic?

The modulus is an important concept in modular arithmetic because it defines the range of possible outcomes for operations. It also determines the periodicity of numbers, meaning that after a certain number of operations, the results will start repeating.

5. How is modular arithmetic related to prime numbers?

Modular arithmetic is closely related to prime numbers. In fact, the modulus used in modular arithmetic must be a prime number for some operations, such as finding multiplicative inverses, to work properly. Prime numbers also play a crucial role in cryptography, which heavily relies on modular arithmetic.