Solving Modular Arithmetic Equations in Z5

• Thread starter VitaminC
  • Start date
In summary, if you have a fraction in Z subscript 5, you should try to do (ab) mod n = ((a mod n)/(b mod n)) mod n. However, there will be times where you end up with a fraction, and you need to solve for (a/b) mod n. To do this, you use the multiplicative inverse of 2 in Z5, which is 3. Then you multiply by 3 to get (x=3(mod 5)).
VitaminC

Homework Statement

If I have some fraction, a/b, in Z subscript 5. (Z is an integer Field) How should I go about doing this?

Homework Equations

I understand that (ab) mod n = ((a mod n)(b mod n)) mod n

The Attempt at a Solution

Thus, I am tempted to say that (a/b) mod n = ((a mod n)/(b mod n)) mod n

However, following that equation, there will be times where I will also end up with a fraction.

exmaple, ((7 mod 5) / ( 24 mod 5)) mod 5 = (2/4) mod 5
= 1/2

So how should I go about solving 7/24 in Z5 or something similar?

I have a feeling I'm missing something obvious.

Physics news on Phys.org
VitaminC said:

Homework Statement

If I have some fraction, a/b, in Z subscript 5. (Z is an integer Field) How should I go about doing this?

Homework Equations

I understand that (ab) mod n = ((a mod n)(b mod n)) mod n

The Attempt at a Solution

Thus, I am tempted to say that (a/b) mod n = ((a mod n)/(b mod n)) mod n

However, following that equation, there will be times where I will also end up with a fraction.

exmaple, ((7 mod 5) / ( 24 mod 5)) mod 5 = (2/4) mod 5
= 1/2

So how should I go about solving 7/24 in Z5 or something similar?

I have a feeling I'm missing something obvious.

you have established that if

24x = 7 (mod 5) than
2x = 1 (mod 5).

the multiplicative inverse of 2 in Z5 is 3:

(2)(3) = 6 = 1 (mod 5).

therefore, multiply by 3 to get:

x = 3 (mod 5).

i would advise against using "fractional" notation in modular arithmetic, because your intuition about fractions will not generally hold.

in particular, if the modulus is not prime, divsion by some numbers is not possible (we don't have a field).

I seem to have a grasp of it now.

However, using the example (7/24) in Z5

From "24x = 7 mod 5" to "2x = 1 mod 5"

I am able to get this by doing:

((7 mod 5)/(24 mod 5)) mod 5. so, I get (1/2) mod 5

hence I achieve the "2x = 1 mod 5"

Is this the right way to go from 24x = 7 mod 5 to 2x = 1 mod 5 or is it wrong, or is there perhaps a better way?

what you are doing is the same:

i just reduced 7 (mod 5) and 24 (mod 5) first.

when working "mod n", a good first step is to replace every number

to it's equivalent in {0,1,2,...,n-1}.

that's one of the purposes of working "mod n", to reduce a large number

problem, to a smaller number problem.

the reason you don't want to use fractions, is to avoid the temptation to "cancel", which can lead to errors.

for example:

2x = 2 (mod 6) has the solution x = 4, but we can't "cancel the 2's"

x = 1 (mod 6) does NOT have x = 4 as a solution.

Deveno is right to warn you about cancellation in modular arithmetic, but in this particular instance it doesn't pose a problem. For any prime p, [itex]\mathbb{Z}_p[/itex] is a field, so every nonzero element has a multiplicative inverse, thus justifying the use of the notation [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex]. Since 5 is prime, [itex]\mathbb{Z}_5[/itex] is a field (as you mention in the OP). In general you can use the Euclidean algorithm to find multiplicative inverses mod n.

Thanks for the help.

spamiam said:
Deveno is right to warn you about cancellation in modular arithmetic, but in this particular instance it doesn't pose a problem. For any prime p, [itex]\mathbb{Z}_p[/itex] is a field, so every nonzero element has a multiplicative inverse, thus justifying the use of the notation [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex]. Since 5 is prime, [itex]\mathbb{Z}_5[/itex] is a field (as you mention in the OP). In general you can use the Euclidean algorithm to find multiplicative inverses mod n.

yes, modulo a prime, "fractions" do make sense, and in fact you can treat integers modulo p much the same as "regular numbers" (i.e., the rational numbers) because they form a field.

you still have to be careful, though, about "dividing by 0", for example, in mod 5, you don't ever want to divide by 10. and it may not be immediately evident that you are dividing by 0 in the integers mod p, because there are "more 0's" (every p-th number) to watch out for.

also, as a general rule, it is clearer conceptual thinking to think of dividing by b as multiplying by b^-1 (which you can write as 1/b, if you wish). why? well, for one reason, multiplication is associative, but division is not. a/(b/c) is not the same as (a/b)/c, so when dividing, the order you do it in, matters. with multiplication, there is no such difficulty, which (in my opinion) leads to fewer computational errors.

1. How do you solve modular arithmetic equations in Z5?

To solve a modular arithmetic equation in Z5, you need to find the remainder when dividing the number by 5. This remainder will be the corresponding element in Z5. For example, if you are solving for x in the equation 3x = 1 (mod 5), you would divide both sides by 3 to get x = 1/3 (mod 5). Since 1/3 is equivalent to 3 (mod 5), the solution is x = 3.

2. What is the difference between modular arithmetic in Z5 and regular arithmetic?

The main difference between modular arithmetic in Z5 and regular arithmetic is that in Z5, the numbers are limited to 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4. This means that when adding, subtracting, multiplying, or dividing in Z5, you must always reduce the result to one of these numbers by finding the remainder when dividing by 5.

3. Can you solve modular arithmetic equations in Z5 using negative numbers?

Yes, you can solve modular arithmetic equations in Z5 using negative numbers. However, you must remember that in Z5, negative numbers are equivalent to their positive counterparts. For example, -2 is equivalent to 3 (mod 5) in Z5. So, when solving equations with negative numbers, make sure to use their equivalent positive numbers.

4. How do you know if a solution to a modular arithmetic equation in Z5 is unique?

A solution to a modular arithmetic equation in Z5 is unique if and only if the equation has a solution and the greatest common divisor of the number and 5 is 1. This means that the number and 5 are relatively prime, and there is only one solution in Z5. If the greatest common divisor is not 1, then there may be multiple solutions or no solution at all.

5. Can you use modular arithmetic in Z5 to solve real-world problems?

Yes, modular arithmetic in Z5 can be used to solve real-world problems. For example, it can be used to calculate the day of the week for a given date, as each day of the week can be assigned a number from 0 to 6 and the calculations can be done in Z7. It can also be used in cryptography and coding theory to ensure secure communication and data transmission.