Modular arithmetic and exponents

Since 36! is divisible by 36, we can rewrite 2^(36!) as (2^36)^k, where k is a positive integer. By Euler's theorem, (2^36)^k ≡ 1^k ≡ 1 (mod 37). Therefore, the remainder of the division of 2^(36!) by 37 is 1.In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving finding the remainder of 2^(36!) divided by 37. The person has a solution using Wilson's Theorem and Fermat's Little Theorem, but is unsure of a clearly stated theorem that justifies their rule. The expert summarizer explains that the theorem they are looking for is Euler's
miren324
I have a homework problem and I use a rule to solve it that seems to be true, at least for small numbers, but I cannot seem to find a clearly stated theorem assuring me that it is true.

Here's the problem with my solution:

Find the remainder of the division of 2^(36!) by 37.

Proof: By Wilson's Theorem, 36! = -1 (mod 37) = 36 (mod 37). Then 2^(36!) = 2^36 (mod 37). By Fermat's Little Theorem, 2^36 = 1 (mod 37). Thus, the remainder of the division of 2^(36!) by 37 is 1.

So the rule that I can't seem to find a clearly stated theorem for is "If b = k (mod p) with p prime, then a^b = a^k (mod p)." Not sure if the prime restriction is necessary. Maybe there's a more general rule I'm forgetting, or maybe my solution is completely wrong. I don't know.

Physics news on Phys.org
The theorem you are looking for is called Euler's Theorem. It states that: If a and n are coprime integers, then a^φ(n) ≡ 1 (mod n), where φ(n) is Euler's totient function. For your specific case, since 37 is prime, φ(37) = 36. Thus, Euler's theorem states that a^36 ≡ 1 (mod 37).

What is modular arithmetic?

Modular arithmetic is a branch of mathematics that deals with integers and their remainders when divided by a fixed number, known as the modulus. It has applications in fields such as cryptography, computer science, and engineering.

What are the basic operations in modular arithmetic?

The basic operations in modular arithmetic are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and exponentiation. In addition and subtraction, the remainder of the result is taken after performing the operation. In multiplication, the remainder of the product is taken after multiplying the numbers. In exponentiation, the remainder of the result is taken after raising the base to the power of the exponent.

How is modular arithmetic used in cryptography?

Modular arithmetic is used in cryptography to encrypt and decrypt messages. In encryption, the message is converted into numbers and then operations are performed on these numbers using a specific modulus. The resulting numbers are then converted back into a message. In decryption, the reverse process is followed to retrieve the original message.

What is the concept of congruence in modular arithmetic?

Congruence is the relationship between two numbers that have the same remainder when divided by a given modulus. In other words, two numbers are congruent if they have the same remainder when divided by the modulus. This concept is used in modular arithmetic to determine if two numbers are equivalent or not.

How are exponents calculated in modular arithmetic?

In modular arithmetic, the exponent is reduced to its remainder when divided by the modulus. This remainder is then used to calculate the exponentiation, similar to regular exponentiation. For example, if the exponent is 7 and the modulus is 5, then the remainder when 7 is divided by 5 is 2. Therefore, the result of 7^2 in modular arithmetic would be the same as 7^2 in regular arithmetic, which is 49.