1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Module over a matrix ring

1. Mar 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data Let E be an n-dimensional vector space over a field k. Then if R is the ring of diagonal n-by-n matrices over k, E can be considered as a module over R, with the scalar multiplication diag(λ_1,...,λ_n)(a_1*e_1+...+a_n*e_n)=λ_1*a_1*e_1+...+λ_n*a_n*e_n, where e_1..._e_n form a basis for E as a vector space over k. Find the number of R-submodules of E.
    2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution If W is a nontrivial R-submodule of E, then it is a k-vector subspace of E (this is trivial), so it has a basis w_1...w_m which can be extended to a basis w_1...w_n of E as a vector space over k. Then let the linear transformation T from E to E be defined by T(w_m)=w_m+1 and T(w_i)=0 for i not equal to m. Then T is diagonalizable, so it has an eigenbasis v_1...v_n for E, such that a subset, say v_1...v_m is a basis for W. With respect to the basis v_1...v_n, the matrix representation A of T is diagonal and thus A is an element of R. So we have Aw_m=w_m+1, which is not an element of W, so W is not closed under scalar multiplication with respect to R and thus W is not an R-submodule. Thus the only R-submodules of E are {1} and E.

It turns out that my answer is wrong, and if you want I can provide a link to the correct solution. But where am I going wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2012 #2
    Om, any thoughts on this?

4. Mar 17, 2012 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Why??

Why??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook