What's the Best Module Selection for Pursuing Theoretical Physics After BSc?

In summary, the conversation discusses the best module selection for someone interested in pursuing theoretical physics at the postgraduate level. The university offers a specific module structure called "Materials Development," but the individual is concerned about being limited to only their research fields. They suggest two potential module selections, both including Physics, Mathematics, and Applied Mathematics, with one including Computer Science. They also express uncertainty about whether to request changes or stick with the default selection.
Centaur
So basically I want to go further into theoretical physics after my BSc. But I don't know what modules would be the best choice.

The University I applied for only offers the following module choice, but they state that if I want another selection, the Dean must approve it.

1st year:
Chemistry
Physics
Applied Mathematics
Mathematics
Computer Science (Only Computing Fundamentals)

2nd year a choice of 3 of the above subjects (with Computer Science excluded) and the 3rd year a choice of 2.

And ironically they call this choice structure, Materials Development, as their research at the postgraduate level focuses on Materials. What I am worrying about is that they are going to try and "force" me to do my post-grad with them in one of their research fields and not at another institution that offers Theoretical Physics.

I think the best would be one of the following:

1st year:
Physics
Mathematics
Applied Mathematics
Computer Science

2nd year:
Physics
Mathematics
Computer Science

3rd year:
Physics
Mathematics

OR

1st year:
Physics
Mathematics
Applied Mathematics
Computer Science

2nd year:
Physics
Mathematics
Applied Mathematics

3rd year:
Physics
Mathematics

Which selection do you think will be the best foundation for doing theoretical physics at the postgraduate level.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I did some more research and I now think the following selection of modules is the best choice:

1st year:
Physics
Mathematics
Applied Mathematics
Computer Science

2nd year:
Physics
Mathematics
Applied Mathematics

3rd year:
Physics
Mathematics

With that selection I get the most Mathematics in and a little bit Programming Fundamentals. However, I'm open for changes and advice.

Thanks

Any advice would be great. I don't know what to do in this scenario. Must I ask for the changes, and do my customized version or should I just go with the default one and do the Chemistry and not Computer Science.

Thanks

1. What is the process for selecting modules for a BSc degree?

The process for selecting modules for a BSc degree may vary by university, but generally students are given a list of available modules and are required to choose a certain number to complete their degree. Some universities may have a specific order in which modules must be taken, while others may allow more flexibility in choosing which modules to take each semester.

2. How many modules do I need to take for a BSc degree?

The number of modules required for a BSc degree will depend on the specific program and university. Typically, a full-time student will take around 120 credits per year, with each module being worth a certain number of credits. This may vary slightly based on the university's credit system.

3. Can I choose modules from different subjects for my BSc degree?

It depends on the university and program. Some BSc degrees have a specific subject or major that students must focus on, while others allow for more flexibility in choosing modules from different subjects. It's important to check with your university or program advisor to see what options are available to you.

4. Can I change my module selection after I have started my BSc degree?

In most cases, it is possible to change your module selection after you have started your BSc degree. However, this may depend on the specific university's policies and deadlines for making changes. It's important to communicate with your program advisor to ensure you are following the correct procedures for changing your modules.

5. How do I know which modules are best for my BSc degree?

Choosing the right modules for your BSc degree will depend on your personal interests, academic strengths, and career goals. It's important to research the modules offered by your university and speak with your program advisor for guidance on which modules would best align with your academic and career aspirations.